Extremely controversial I'm sure..thinking of breastfeeding my dd again; she's 2

I stopped breastfeeding her when she was about 4 mths old, but I noticed I still have milk and she's 2. Would it be wrong for me to breast pump and give her the milk? I wanted to breastfeeding her longer but at the time it was hard for me to keep up with it. Breast milk has so many benefits so I think it would be great to be able to give it to her again. Lots of woman breastfeeding for along time so would it he any different if I stopped for a while and started again??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• At 2? IMO , that is weird! Most toddlers are weaned by the age of 1, but you should always do what you feel is right for your child (as long as it is not detrimental to their health of course). If I were you, I would talk to my childs pedi. as well as my own GP and/or OB/GYN. get a few opinions if you feel the need.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Well I wouldn't for health reasons. First of all, a 2 year old doesn't need all of the fat that is in breastmilk, and yes there's a lot in there. Secondly, a 2 year old has already surpassed the stages for which the benefits of the milk would have given her. for example, she's already built up a lot of immunity to diseases and sicknesses. Third, I doubt she will want to drink it because its not going to taste like what she is used to. Ultimately, its your decision but I myself wouldn't do it. Get your pediatrician's advice as well.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• you still have milk and it's been at least 20 mos since you last breastfed?
    stellabluegirl

Answer by stellabluegirl at 2:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• There is really no necessary need to breastfeed after 6 months, imo.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 2:48 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'm OP and yes I still have milk. Why I'm not sure but I do. I took a shower a few mths ago and it came out on it's own. I've been on birth control since I had my dd and regularly go to ob so I have not been pregnant. It just never went away
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 2:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• after 6 months? you are right that is an opinion. it has been proven that breast milk has benefits until the child is 2 years old...
    nessamarie

Answer by nessamarie at 2:50 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Why do people breastfeed after 6 mths if there's no need? If there's absolutely no health benefit then I wouldn't
    do it.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 2:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Quoting SweetLoveofMine: First of all, a 2 year old doesn't need all of the fat that is in breastmilk, and yes there's a lot in there. Secondly, a 2 year old has already surpassed the stages for which the benefits of the milk would have given her. for example, she's already built up a lot of immunity to diseases and sicknesses. Third, I doubt she will want to drink it because its not going to taste like what she is used to. Ultimately, its your decision but I myself wouldn't do it.

i completely agree with this, basically took the words right out of my mouth.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 3:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My 2 year old breastfeeds. But then, she never weaned. Basically told me she wasn't ready, and I respected her decision.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:24 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• And to the first answer, who said "most toddlers are weaned by 1", that's most toddlers in AMERICA in the 20th century. Historically and internationally, I believe it's 3-5 years old.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010