I have a Jack Russell

He's still a puppy and he has so much energy. I give him bones to occupy himself but he "buries" them in nooks and crannies all over the house. He destroys toys, throw rugs, furniture. I have trained dogs for years but this one has me beat. I even took him for an hour and a half walk the other day and he was non stop when we got home. I live him I just need ideas to keep him stimulated mentally and physically. Anyone?

BluDog

Asked by BluDog at 2:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Pets

• A JACK RUssell dog are rat dogs they are good for farms ,if he miss be haves put in kennel that will teach him not do it again ,it is long and hard yes it is okay to say no
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 2:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Let him run around in a fenced in yard all day!!!!! Possibly with another dog.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• HI PUPPYS ARE LIKE THIS , ALL I CAN SAY IS GET HIM A BALL AND TEACH HIM FETCH . AND GET HIM HES OWN RAG OR PEACE OF MATERIAAL TO PLAY WITH . BUT THE BEST ADVICE GET HIM A PLAY MATE OR LET SOME ONE WITH A PUPPY VISIT U SO THEY CAN PLAY . HE IS LONLEY THATS Y HE ACTS LIKE THIS
    KABOUSIE

Answer by KABOUSIE at 2:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• When he does something bad he kennels himself up. It's really funny. I know they are a high energy and very intelligent breed. I guess I was wondering if there are toys or activities you know of to keep him stimulated and also wear him out.
    BluDog

Comment by BluDog (original poster) at 3:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Had a jack russel once papers and all. Free dog from a friend . Had the same problem but I put him out in the yard to play with the lab we had at the time and hed jump the fence. Hed come home with stickers all in his fur and I would have to shave him LOL good times! Bit be did tricks. He would 'find' he had one squeeky bunny and I would put him outside,show it to him and hide it and he would find it. He also did flips. If you held up a treathe would jump up and flip. He would do that till he couldn't stand! Try tricks. A laser pointer. Zhuzhu pet. Something battery operated to keep hin busy ha ha tie his bone to a remote controlled car and give him a good run like 2x a day.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 3:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• He sounds like he is bored. The best thing you can do for him is give him plenty of excersise and give him a job. You should look into agility,flyball,freestyle things like that. you can also teach him tricks to do things at home.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:48 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• He needs another dog that can keep up with him. I have a 6 month old Jack Russel & an 18 month old wire terrier. They play with each other a day long. When my JR is ready for a nap, she curls up with my lab.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Try to find a flyball club near you. Google flyball. It's fun, it helps center some of the JRT energy.

If flyball isn't something you'd be into, you can try agility, rally obedience.

You can just give him a normal job to do as well. Train him to pick up his toys and put them away, or train him to do some tricks.

NEVER, EVER, kennel him when he is into something he shouldn't be. His kennel is not the place to punish him. Give a sharp, firm NO and then distract him with a toy he is allowed to have.

Good Luck!
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I used "smart" toys for mental stimultion and enrichment when I worked for the JASPCA.
    www.ihelppets.com/smartdogtoys.html
    My faves are the hide-a-squirrel toy and the cagey cube.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My 12 year old JRT is still as energetic and crazy as he was when we brought him home at 8 weeks. Best of luck. They are a handful!
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 2:28 PM on Sep. 30, 2010