when does a car seat expire??

nessamarie

Asked by nessamarie at 2:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it should say on the car seat or in the manufacturer's guide. Anytime its been in an accident though its supposed to be disposed of.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:56 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i gave away my infant carrier after my son was done with it cause i had read the plastic starts breaking down at 5 years, and since i want my kids to be just shy of 5 years apart i knew i wouldnt be able to use it. now someone said on another thread its after 10 years and im kicking myself cause i loved that seat :( maybe i will try to get it back
    nessamarie

Comment by nessamarie (original poster) at 2:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It is not after 10 years. Car seats expire way before then. I have heard after 5-6 years the plastic begins to breakdown due to stress that is put on them as well as from variations in temperature from being outside for a number of years. The hot and cold that seats experience can cause the plastic to become brittle. There should have been either an expiration date or a date of manufacture on the seat for you to go by. Another reason that seats are no good after this amount of time is due to crash test data that is used to create better and safer seats. I hope that helps.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• A lot depends on the manufacturer. Can you look at their website, or Google your specific seat to see what they recommend? Some of the less expensive car seats are designed to last just a few years, some of the pricier ones can last a really long time. My Peg Perego is rated for 8 years +.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Most seats expire in 6 years from when they are made (I'm pretty certain the Peg Perego are only 5 years... not 8! You better check that out Scuba)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i use mine until the child is too heavy or tall for it and if it has gotten into accident if that happens we take it completely apart so no one can use it again
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Check with the manufacturer.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2010