How can I help my five year lod tie his shoes?

misspriss472

Asked by misspriss472 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm going through that now, I taughter her how to cross the laces and put one lace over then trhough the hole underneath and then pull..and then when she has that perfected I will teach her the loops. i gave her a shoe and I took the other.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 3:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Another way that I've found works well...at least to get started is to pre-make the loops and secure them with some clear tape....then have your child focus on just crossing and pulling twice. Once they master that, then move on to forming the loops (I'd do one at a time).
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 4:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Something else to practice on. I heard once of a teacher looping a shoelace throught the lid of a shoebox (and attaching lid to box). He was allowed to keep it in his desk and practice during free time. His mother did the same at home. Perhaps a special boy doll, maybe a Just Like Me doll, w/ laces to tie. Something that's not on his foot when he's tying it. Patience.
    LADYLadylady

Answer by LADYLadylady at 2:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2008