• In the Spotlight:

Lump on my throat

I found a lump on my throat/neck today if you are looking at me straight on it is on the left (my right) About a 1/2-1 inch from where my neck ends. About 1/2 inch from my collar bone going up? It kind of a long lump. Size is about 1 inch high and 11/2 inches long going to the side of my neck.. I have a call into my doctor and no call back yet?? Any ideas?

JamiesMom08

Asked by JamiesMom08 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Health

• Did it just appear or have you noticed it and it's growing?
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 3:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Kenzies_momma - I just noticed it.... I have a somewhat of a MEDICAL history so I am a little paranoid.
    JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Oh ok......I noticed pretty much the same thing but I didn't go to the doctor till almost 3 months after I noticed it. By than it was on the left side of my throat and was like a golf ball. I had thyroid cancer. I had to have surgery and raidiation treatment but now I'm fine. Hopefully it's not that but that's just my personnal experience. It doesn't sound like it because it just appeared but that's pretty much exactly what mine sounded like.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 3:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I had the same problem. It seemed to come out of nowhere. I went and had tests (labs) done and they sais it was my thyroid. I went in for a biopsy but it turned out benine!! thank god. However, I do have to take medication, they want to take my thyroid out but mine is hyperactive and by them cutting in to it it is very risky because the white cells will spread. Be very careful. Not saying this is your problem but I WOULD def. go to the doctor. Even an endocronologist!!!
    shawslady

Answer by shawslady at 3:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Kenzies_momma --I am so glad to hear you are doing fine... I am sorry to hear what you had to go through.. How are you doing these days ??My Gosh... I promise I wont wait to have it checked...

shawslady -- I am sure that is what the Doc is going to tell me to do???? YUCK more doctors..

o.k. the both of you have me a little scared.... no worries....
    JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I just wanted to add that there are lymph nodes in that area and sometimes one or more of these can swell up when the body's fighting an infection. This can happen even if you don't necessarily feel sick. Still it's good that you've called your doctor, but try not to worry. :)
    Feridust

Answer by Feridust at 4:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• It sounds like a supraclavicular lymph node. A lymph gland just above your collar bone. It is good to get it checked out. It could just be something that comes and goes itself or it could be the result of an infection near that part of your body.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I had a cyst on my thyroid and had to have it removed right after the birth of my daughter thankfully it wasnt cancer,I noticed it a little while before she was born but didint get it taken care of until after she was born.get your doctor to check you out to rule out anything bad.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 8:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Well finally the doctors nurse called me back last night as she was leaving I have an appt today at 3:15 .. I am sure he is just going to send me out for MORE tests....... I will keep you updated.. Thank you to all of you for your feed back.. I really appreciate it. Makes me not worry so much..
    JamiesMom08

Answer by JamiesMom08 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 23, 2008