I found a pipe in my 15 year old sons room whats the best way to handle this?

sueokeefe

Asked by sueokeefe at 6:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think if you just get angry with him it will only push him away....I think you should sit him down and show it to him then you both ask questions. Ask him why? and then explain to him about the consequences of smoking whether its tobacco or weed. If after talking to him you think its necessary to do drug tests then so be it but try to stay calm through it. Good luck.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:04 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my friend just went thru this same situation- having grown up in the 70's, she was a major stoner in her hay day and felt very torn when this occurred. she was honest in her approach and explained to her son that even drugs like marijuana are chemically altered, so its not as "natural" as he may think. it will affect performance, make you lazy, and overall, its just not a good idea to get involved with drugs. i think the only thing we can do as parents is to help our children rise above the influence, which i know sounds so cliche', but its the truth. personally, i say buy 2 at home drug kits. make him take one test now and have the back up where he can see it, so its a constant reminder that he can be tested anytime. and obviously, if he does test positive for some kind of substance- create a punishment that will have some type of impact and discourage him from that type of behavior. good luck.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 6:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• tobacco or hash?...two totally different approaches...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• break it right in front of him...then do weekly drug tests.
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 7:16 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• What sort of pipe..? I would take him for a drug test ....and go from there..Good Luck!
    Just_Bethy

Answer by Just_Bethy at 6:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• def do the drug test, and dont give him any warning. He will just lie if u dont have solid proof that he did the drugs. after that, I dont know...I often wonder what I am going to do if and when this comes up. He needs to get away from the people that he does it with, which is no small task. Does he have a job? You need to be very tough on him.....sigh...Im sorry you have to deal with this
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2010