Grocery Store is an hour away; Need advise for fussy toddler

We live in the middle of nowhere and once a week we drive 65 miles (one way) to the nearest grocery store. It is a HUGE hassel. We have to bring ice chests with us, pack a big diaper bag etc. Well, here lately my DD is acting horribly on our weekly trips. I can't even concentrate to buy groceries due to her tantrums.

Any suggestions on how I can make this weekly trip easier on all of us? I do not have anyone to leave her with so DD must go with us. (she is 17 months old)

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• feed her and change her diaper before you go.,,,give her a toy,,,if all else fails one of you and the daughter stay in the car when you get to the store ..

Answer by louise2 at 3:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• She's probably just getting restless from the long car ride. I would look for a place that she could get out and play and stretch her legs for a while before starting your shopping. I'm kind of in the same boat as you but there is some shopping about 40 minutes away from my house, but when we go to Anchorage, 1-2 times a month it's a 70 mile drive and the kids get restless. We've always made a habit to stop and visit grandma on the way in, and sometimes on the way out. It helps.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Could one of yall stay home with her while the other one goes to the store? I don't know if that's possible or not but it's a suggestion.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 3:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I would make an entire day out of the trip. Leave early in the morning, after a good breakfast, and with a list ready to go. When you get to the town with the store, find something fun to do first. Do they have a library, or somewhere where she can get out for 30 min or so to stretch her legs? After the quick stop, head to the store ASAP with her favorite snack on hand (suckers last a long time..LOL) and get what you need.
    CONT>>>
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• CONT>>>
    If you have a good list, you can put it into catergories, too. All the fresh produce in one spot, canned foods in another, dairy, meats, etc. ~ Organize your list according to how the store is laid out. It saves a ton of time and no backtracking.Then, find a good spot for lunch, again where she can stretch and run and wear herself out for a good nap on the way home. I would even put it somehow into my grocery budget for a trip to McDonalds, or something similar.
    The more you plan, the better it will go. But, she is also at an age that she will test you to see what is OK and what isn't. You need to make sure she behaves for you at home before you can have a good time taking her somewhere!
    christyg

• We're in the same boat as you guys - mountain living can be fun, but not when you have to make it to the grocery store! For the drive, we pop in a nursery rhymes CD for our 19 month old son to listen to. He loves hearing kids sing the tunes that we all grew up with. Maybe try that - you can buy CD's used on Amazon.com for really cheap if price is an issue. When we get to the gorcery store, my husband and I split up. One of us takes the cart and does the bulk of the shopping, and the other one just grabs a few items off the shelf while holding our son. Another suggestion we use: try to involve your DD in the shopping - ask her about colors, shapes, and the various items on display. Make it fun for her, and hopefully it will then become fun for you.
    Anonymous

• Maybe get a membership to Costco or Sam's Club and make it a monthly trip, instead of a weekly trip.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• That is a tough one because toddlers are so active and demanding in those situations. Can you hire someone to come with you and keep her busy in the store while the two of you shop? It would be worth it to me. One of you could do the bulk of the shopping while the other does the easy stuff so the baby can be kept busy at the same time. I am thinking you make out menus and no exactly what you need and make the list by aisle before you go. If not, do that. One of you reads the list and keeps the baby busy while the other does the leg work. Find some things the baby loves that keep her occupied and let her play with it only when you are grocery shopping.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My daughter was the exact same. I would just sing her silly songs, surprise snacks and a toy to calm her. It typically worked. If that fails we always made a trip to the toy aisle and got something that lights up or makes noise to entertain her for the duration. Remeber though, with going with that route YOU HAVE NO OBLIGATION EVER TO BUY THOSE TOYS. Leave it with the cashier at checkout.
    clueless1972

Answer by clueless1972 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2008