taking a the paci away

ok so lakayria will be on this sunday so by husband has been trying to take her off her pacifier since she was six months wich i thouhgt was way to early. now i think she is ready to be off of it for good she does good during the day but she cries at nite when its bed time so my question is is the an easier eay to take her off her pacifier????? please help i tried last nite and she cried for 30min

lovebeinmama10

Asked by lovebeinmama10 at 7:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't believe in taking it away. She will eventually give it up all on her on and I don't see any good in making them give up their comfort object...not to mention she isn't even one yet.

Having said that, if you insist on taking it away. You just have to listen to the screaming. It will eventually stop as well.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Just throw it away and listen to the screaming for a few nights...kids adjust well, she will be fine. And they dont always give it up, I have seen some big kids walking around sucking on a pacifier....I think thats just sad. You are the mommy, so you need to call the shots!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My daughter used a pacifier at bedtime til she was about 2 and a half, at which point I decided it was time to break that habit. She cried every night for about a week. Sometimes she'd even wake up during the night and fuss a little. After that first week, it just stopped completely, like a light switch being turned off. All the sudden it's like she just forgot about it and from then on, she never mentioned it again. Not sure if that's the "normal" experience, but that's how mine went. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If you deside to just throw it out you will have to deal with some crying but it will only last a couple days. If you deside not to take it then only allow it during her sleeping times. Good luck Momma...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree with the above....if you decide to take it away there will be some crying.. 4 of mine were paci babies, no matter what the age they all cried a little after it was gone. I tried it all... giving it to "Santa for another baby who needed it"...to cuting of the tip (I read that somewhere)....same result at the end. They cried a little for a few days then forgot about it. Hope this helps :)
    cmorbeauty

Answer by cmorbeauty at 8:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• thank you ladies im going to try again tonight and see how it goes. i will let yall know how it goes.
    lovebeinmama10

Comment by lovebeinmama10 (original poster) at 8:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• When I had to take the paci away from my daughter (she was bitting it and taking the top of the paci off) I just threw it in the thrash can. First night she cry for 30 minutes and the second for 10, the third night didn't cry at all. Good luck!
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:42 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would just take it away. My son no longer wanted his at 10 months. I was happy with that.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:57 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If she's aware of where her pacifier is and where it should be, let her know that it's been lost and you can't find it. I did this with my daughter (quite by accident) before she turned six months and had no problem. Giving her a bottle of milk and rice cereal might help with the crying.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• im sorry but i dont believe in taking that away until they are ready.....i have 4 kids and my three oldest had the paci for quite a while because it was their security, their comfort...if babies have that sucking desire, they'll find their fingers or thumb.....i feel it is better to let them feel secure with their paci rather than them have security issues later in life....i am sure there will be others out there to disagree, but i have 3 strong independent young children who get great grades....and although i was unsure of when to take away their pacifiers back then, i am happy now that i let them give it up when they were ready...i dont have the heart to hear a baby cry for their pacifier..
    supermom326

Answer by supermom326 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010