Are children of smokers more likely to become smokers than children of non-smokers?

Both of my parents smoked when I was growing up (though both quit in their 30s). I started smoking when I was 18 (legal enough to buy them) and not lighting up very often. In the beginning, a pack would last a month. Now, 11 years later, a pack lasts me about two days.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• The children of smokers do have more influence, but that doesn't neccisarily mean they will themselves become smokers. Some children are turned off by smoking because their parents smoked. Environment has a lot to do with how a child devlops. It either strays them from that environment or sucks them in. So it could go either way. I don't think there's been any conclusive studies though.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:03 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My DH is a smoker- 2 packs a day.
    All 7 of our kids hate smoking. My adults and teens have all tried it but they can't stand it, not even the smell. My oldest are trying to get DH to quit..
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 8:34 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No I am from a home of smokers and can't stand it. I can't even walk into my parents house w/o walking out smelling like a bar. Here's another spin on things. Are children of alcoholics more likely to be alcoholics? Not me either and I was a product of that type of environment as well. It is all a choice that you make.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i dont believe so. im sure in some cases parental influence is a big part of it but in other cases it's just a personal choice. my parents still smoke in their 50's and 60's and i am a smoker as well, though my best friend's mom smokes and she doesn't. i didnt start because of my parents and if they were to quit tomorrow, i wouldn't.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My mom is a smoker and out of 5 kids only 1 of my sisters smoke.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Its hard to say. I know people who's parents smoked and they smoked because cigs were always available to them. I also know people who's parents smoked who think its disgusting. My husband started smoking from his brother smoking. Thank God he quit a few years before our son was born.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I grew up in a chain smoking home. I have never smoked, and there is no smoking in my home. Unfortunately though, I am susceptible to bronchitis, and I have had pneumonia more than once. I have had more than one Dr tell me that this is very likely due to growing up with the second hand smoke the way I did. In fact, I had one Dr tell me he would have guessed that I was a long time smoker, based on my medical history with my lungs (this was yrs ago though, not too long after I had moved out on my own).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:48 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think it depends on the individual and their level of wisdom, respect for their own body and will power. I get stressed and aggrivated. Yet that is the only excuse I seem to get from smokers as to WHY they smoke. But I don't.
    My mom, sister and brother smoke and drink (my mom has since quit in the past few years finally)... yet I don't smoke and only drink a "sissy drink" (Smirnoff) on occasion (like ONE bottle every 4+ years, lol).
    I never had the urge to do that to myself and my body.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:50 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think most people who do smoke probably had parents that smoked but not all. Everyone in my family smokes mom, Dad, aunts, unlcles and in-laws BUT my hubby and I do NOT smoke, never have and never will the smell make me want to vomit.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:56 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't think that smoking parents always lead to smoking kids. I think peer influence is a lot stronger than our parents infuence, especially when teens. Both my parents smoked & none of the kids smoke. But, my DH's parents are smokers & he does smoke, but his brother hates smokers. My fathers parents never smoked & he smoked....my mothers parents also did not smoke & she still smokes to this day.

I don't think children of smokers are any mor elikely to smoke than non smokers.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2010