when it's bed time does any one else have trouble with your child(ren) wanting to eat right then but only because they have to go to bed?

discarded

Asked by discarded at 8:45 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is so weird, because i was going to ask this same question today on CM! DD is ALWAYS hungry right before bed. She is really good at making me feel horrible for not feeding her. There were a few times where i let her eat a banana, but i now realize that was a bad idea because she is ALWAYS asking for food before bed now. I feel bad. I start wondering if she had eaten enough for the day. But, i'm not going to help her get used to eating before bed. I had to be mean last night & just say "No Way, go to bed" and i shut the door & she cried, but was asleep in like 20 min.

My DD is 8, and it seems like she is hungry all the time. She is such a little skinny, binny too, so i want her to eat as much as she can. I hate wondering if she is really starving in there. Sometimes, i'm scared she might really be hungry.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• We have a rule, a snack an hour before bed, (at 7pm) and nothing else after that. If they're thirsty they each have a cup on the breakfast bar and can get up and get a drink when they want.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• yes my children are instantly hungry when its bedtime...lol...they could have had a 5 course meal for dinner but they are still starving when its time to go to sleep. We have a pretty good bedtime routine now and I dont hear it as often but it used to be a nightly thing.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have a soon to be 6 yr old and I have quikly realized what I need to do is give him a snack and go potty then 2 books and no excuses after that it is bedtime....before this I had him just starving or needing to go potty every excuse in the book...now he knows there is nothing left to ask for and knows to stay in bed
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• mine is a nightly thing and it is always after i say the words good night
    discarded

Comment by discarded (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Mine doesn't want food, but we play the "I need to go potty" game. She is 2 and starting to potty train.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• yeah i went through that when he was 2 he's six now so it's other things brush teeth eat so on so forth
    discarded

Comment by discarded (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• We have a small snack before we brush teeth and that is it. They are allowed water next to their bed but when it's lights out time, that's it! Maybe try giving him a snack, brush teeth, ect, night after night. If you stick to your guns it shouldn't take long for him to figure out that good night means just that! Good luck.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 9:07 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• yes, after their bath they can have a small snack, then it's brush teeth, use potty and get in the bed for stories, etc. i tell them if they don't want a snack when i offer it then forget it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• offering the snack don't work for mine he wants food the water he get every once in a while
    discarded

Comment by discarded (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2010