My 7 week old baby does alot of wheezing when he breathes. He doen't do it all the time, but he does the majority of the time. The thing is, he doesn't do it when I take him to his doctor. Is rattling and wheezing normal in babies at this age?

gore_vic

Asked by gore_vic at 1:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Was he a c-section baby? Mine was and he had the same problem the dr. told me that the reaon for it is because when the baby is delivered normal it goes through the birth canal in which draws out unnecisary things but with a c-section baby it doesnt get that chance mine lasted about a month to two months but keep an eye on it, it could be something else.
    JonahsMom1107

Answer by JonahsMom1107 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I had/have the SAME problem. My son would(still does occasionally) wheeze while breathing - however, he would never do it when I took him to the dr. The dr told me it could just be a real mild allergy(to pet dander or dust) or something like that. he told me to get a Humidifier and fill it with water and let it run during the night to help break up any mucus that was in there. I don't run it every single night(b/c i forget some nights) but if I notice him wheezing a lot during the day, I will make sure I put on the humidifier. I know I probably didn't help much, I dont know if it is normal, I just know my son does it too.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 1:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• It's not normal, but a lot of people get confused with the sound of wheezing in the lungs and wheezing in the throat and nose. Do you smoke in the home or around the baby? That could cause wheezing in kids that are extra sensitive. If you're truly concerned, I'd go back to the doctor and let him know, again.

To help relieve wheezing symptoms, run the shower on hot in the bathroom with the door closed and sit with the baby in the steam. (obviously not in the water, lol.)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• my baby did same thing our dr (she is great i really trust her wich is hard with some docs ) said it was milk in her esophigis and as long as lungs werent rattling it was normal
    joken

Answer by joken at 1:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My baby use to do that also. I called my doctor and he said by a vicks humidifier and leave it on for the baby that way it helps expand his lungs for breathing and breaks up any congestion he may have.
    sweetmom08

Answer by sweetmom08 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My son had similar problems and he ended up having bronchilalitis. He had to do albuterol treatments through a nebulizer for about 2 weeks
    Creek_Momma

Answer by Creek_Momma at 2:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2008