why is it for everyone else to degrade?

why do ppl degrade ppl who recieve help like foodstamps & wic? they are meant to help, but what about people on social security, people abuse that also & alot easier than foodstamps & wic..i see people using their ss $ to buy drugs, alcohol & things that they wouldn't buy if the $ wasn't free & garunteed to them.i have 2 kids 2 & under that are healthy due to the fact that they recieve food & medical help, they are provided for by their father, but we don't ever have any extra $. the help that we get from the govt is just that HELP. if you see some1 abusing the assistance they recieve turn them in, they will more than likely lose assistance. without the help this country would be just like ethiopia or other countries where people die from lack of medical attention and nutrition...THEN WHAT WOULD PPL TALK ABOUT

mamaKoetter

Asked by mamaKoetter at 3:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I have had jobs, my hubby still wrks, but we NEED the Help. Because with 2kids & 1 income it is imposs. to provide everything for the kids, with fs u have to prove income, bills,residency. then the base ur $amount on how much u make B4 taxes & take out only 4 rent.. that is why so many people don't get help.taxes were around long b4 fs. sometimes i get chips & stuff, but that is 4 bdays or picnics not everyday eats. besides that people who spend their own cash buy the same crap so who decides just because it isnt cash u cant eat it?
    mamaKoetter

Answer by mamaKoetter at 10:47 AM on Oct. 23, 2008

• No problem with all the people on em just the ones who abuse them. Food stamps could use a serious overhaul! I was on them a few years ago. As soon as we didn't NEED them I got off them. Not because I was emberrassed or thought I was wrong to be on them but because t's not MY money, it's the taxpayers and you should only be on them if you need them. The key word is NEED. I don't have problem with that at all! Of course there are those struggeling who need help. However the commercials on the radio for people to "come on down"and sign up, piss me off!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• lol! yeah ive seen those commericals and thought they were funny. I myself have medical for me and my children, but do not get foodstamps because we do not qualify. I had to quit my job, becaues they cancled my insurance cuz we made to much while I was working..... I did net get insurance through my job and neither does my husband. I thought that, that was messed up that I had to do that in oder to get the prenatal care I needed. When we told the lady what I had to do, she apologized, but said nothing else. she new that me having to do that was not their purpose and someone screwed up. Not everyone on foodstamps and so on are abusing it, sometimes the systems abusing them. How do you expect someone to get ahead when you cause them to have to quit their jobs.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• sometimes, knowing you are one step or one chance-happening away from being something you fear is enough to find fault in others. we like to deny that we'd ever be in someone else's shoes, but in reality, it is possible. its human nature to try to believe we are better than 'that' person..we don't know anyone's reality other than our own, and wrongly, we tend to judge by appearance or a one-time observance. are there those who abuse the system? of course. but, i know for myself, anytime i thought 'this is the end' or 'why me?'..there's always someone has it worse than I. humans are natural fault-finders..
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My only problem is whenever I'm in line behind a family that obviously is using FS with their 2 baskets full of stuff, why is it that you see nothin' but chips and cookies and other nonsense in the cart? I know healthy food is more expensive, but for christ sake, when you just get the CRAP you might as well be getting nothing at all. Why not take the middle ground? I'm speaking from my general experience from seeing families in grocery stores that are on FS, I know not everyone does that.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 4:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Everyone has their own preferences of what they eat. If that same family was paying cash you would have no post. I agree, all governmental systems are abused. What about workers comp cases with people that can clearly go to work or people on disability who could easily work. People boast constantly about how they 'cheated the system' or 'worked the system', but there are no posts about that. The issue is not the people on these programs necessarily it is the programs so how about some posts about the programs without the criticism of people when we don't know their situation.

ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 4:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• telling people what kind of food they can and cannot buy sounds pretty communist to me.
    Anonymous

• Thats insane so now people on food stamps cant eat chips and cookies ice cream or snacks thats nuts. It may not be healthy but its none of my biz how do i know it wasnt for a birthday thats going too far
    whitedove1952

Answer by whitedove1952 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• OKAY... but if you're feeding your kids bulls--- all the time, how healthy is that and how are they going to grow up??? And how are WE (i assume) as taxpayers supposed to "pay" for their care when they are diagnosed with juvenile diabetes, morbid obesity, etc? Like I said, it's a vicious cycle and if you're getting public assistance, it really shouldn't be YOUR CHOICE to get that bull---- like bags upon bags of chips, cookies, sodas, etc. since YOU are not paying for it!!! It should be about feeding your children healthy foods... Communistic or not, that's how it should be.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 4:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Whatever whitedove... I wasn't saying not at all... I'm just saying that MY experience has been seeing people with a FULL cart of like chips, soda, cookies, and just plain old unnutritious (is that a word?) bulls---...
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 4:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008