How do i get my 2 yr old son to stop playing with his thingy?

My son has been playing with his thing for ever. I have tried just taking his hand away from it, i have tried putting clothes on to were he cant get to it but he does. I dont know what to do anymore. He sit on the couch and just plays with it. When my friend had him she said all he did was play with it. HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's what little boys do. He's just exploring. First of all, it's called a penis. Second of all, pulling his had away is going to make him think it's dirty, which it's not. This is normal behavior. I have 3 boys and 6 brother. Trust me, it's normal.
    Anonymous

• agree with above that this is just a boy thing. My son did it also as a toddler. I did move his hand away and tell him that was something that was private and that he should not do it in public places, but privately in our home when it was just us, I did not comment. He is 11 now, and thankfully, does not do that anymore :)
    notjustamom848

Answer by notjustamom848 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• My nephew does it too. BUT his parents used to tell him to SHAKE IT at people and after that is when he started. He is three and a little pervert though. He just really needs to learn that there is just certain things to do and say in public and others are meant to be done and said in private. I do however blame his parents a lot on this though because they encouraged him when he was first starting to learn things. Also my niece (same parents) used to touch herself to and her doctor asked her if it felt good and she said yes and he told her to do it in private.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• First i know what it is called i just dont use those words.
    Second how doi tell him it is suupose to be in private? HE IS 2. He dont understand that.
    Besides i dont want to see it.
    Anonymous

• You just keep reminding him that if it's covered by his diaper or underwear, he can touch it in the bathroom. It takes a while but he'll get it eventually.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Why cant you say Penis?
    mamabear2410

Answer by mamabear2410 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• you-have-to-stay-positive-aout-it-he-ca-ecome-scared-from-how-you-do-it-my-oys-are-15moths-ad-does-it-ut-like-others-say-its-preivet-to-e-doe-aloe-ad-what-it-is-for-peeig
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• you don't. let him be.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• The more you try to stop him from doing it, the more he will do it. Give him positive reinforcement when he's NOT doing it and ignore him when he does. He's continuing to do it so much because you are obviously bothered by it. My son likes to make fart sounds with him mouth. If I laught at it or tell him to stop, he does it more. If I ignore him, he stops on his own.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• all little boys play with their penises. it is a perfectly normal part of their development. they're learning all the fun things their bodies can do: throwing, running, spinning around in circles til they get dizzy, etc. they discover that by touching themself somewhere, they derive pleasure. then they discover that by doing that they also get a rise out of mommy, why would he stop?

my suggestion is to not react when its a time that it doesn't matter. if he's doing it someplace inappropriate, tell him that its not appropriate there, and that he can wait. at 2 your son understands four times as much as you think he does.

cont...

sunnykate

Answer by sunnykate at 6:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2008