Emergency tips for when you have "had it"

Hey Guys, I wrote a question about this, but I think I might try something else. Does anyone have any quick de-stressing idea when moms are in an emergency situation..EX: your baby screaming like a banshee from colic. It can be anything from how to calm the mother or how to keep mom and baby immediately safe. I have been there!
My first tip is when you have "had it" put the baby in the crib and stay 6 ft away from him until you KNOW that you are calm.

portakolis08

Asked by portakolis08 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call a friend or family member to come over and watch the baby while you run to the store, shower, or just get some YOU time. :)
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 4:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I agree with putting your baby in a safe spot, like their crib. But only stand 6 ft away? You can leave the room. Our apartment has a small balcony and I used to step outside to get a breathe of fresh air. Fresh air always helps me calm down. Plus, I wasn't in ear shot of the screaming baby. Another thing I used to do is put my son in his infant seat and put him in the laundry room on the floor (door cracked open though) and turn on the dryer. The noise soothed him enough to stop crying and he would often fall asleep.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 4:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I've been there!
    The best thing - put the baby in her crib, close the door, and go sit somewhere you can't hear her for a few minutes. That might be on the front step, in the bathroom with the shower running, or in the living room with headphones on listening to peaceful music.

I've found that moms who have never had a colic baby just don't understand what a living hell it can be. Never ask a mom with a "regular" baby for advice about crying. They just don't get it.

Keep an eye on the calendar. Colic should be gone or nearly gone by 16 weeks.
    Keep an eye on your own health. Mom's of colic babies are much more likely to develop PPD.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Thank you guys, you answered so fast! When I said six feet..what I meant was if you check on the baby while you are still feeling bad...then don't stand near him. Stay 6ft away, peak at him, then leave again. I volunteer at our local women's shelter so I am going put to everyone's ideas on the bulletin board there to help the moms there as well.
    portakolis08

Answer by portakolis08 at 4:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Honey.. if you've done all you can and you know that baby is fed, dry and nothing else is bothering him or her.. place him in the crib, shut the door and step outside... It's the safest for both you and baby. I had a colicky one... Trust me.. sometimes it's the only way. If you know the child is safe.. there is not much more you can do. It is okay to distance yourself a little for your sanity.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 4:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I shop at Aldi and can get cheap brand of Oncore meals fro $2 -- so we eat salsbury steal, lasagna, chicken parm......always have frozen veggies -- stick in a bowl with water and microwave.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• FOR MOM: Put the baby in his crib, go to your room, pick up a pillow and SCREAM into it at the top of your lungs! Do not return to the baby's room until you calm back down...he will be OK ~ you might not...LOL
    FOR BABY: Try putting him in front of the dishwasher or dryer while they are running. The noise seems to help some. Also, carry him face down across your arms, with his belly against your forearm, like a football and walk around.

christyg

Answer by christyg at 5:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• what i did for times like that is i would put on the backyardigans cd in babys rooms after placing him in the crib shut the door.. and took the dog out side... by the time i got back in the house he was laughing or sleeping....
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Omg I totally understand for moms with colicky babies!! I cried a few times because it was my first baby and I couldnt handle it because I was going through ppd and it made it worse but it has gotten better! I would make sure he's fed and clean diaper and swaddle him very tightly, put him in his babyswing, turn on the white noise cd and go save my sanity. At times when I don't mind soothing him forever, I would jiggle him instead of put him in the swing.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 6:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2008