Why don't men say I am sorry? Regis just asked this. I was talking yesterday about this. My husband explains or makes excuses.

Yesterday, I discovered a mistake that my lawyer made. He immediately completely apologized and told me what he was going to do to attempt to correct his mistake. I wanted to tell him how fortunate his wife was to have a man that could accept responsibility and take action on it.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• the ones who had proper home training do
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think for a lot of men apologizing is a sign of weakness.
    jtmommyN

Answer by jtmommyN at 9:12 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i thought it was just my husband who doesnt. i also think its the way he was raised, NONE of his family members say it, they just try to make it someone else's fault
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i am lucky for my husband will apologize when he's done something wrong. i know when i dont get an apology from him and just an explanation than it was something i blew out of proportion, because he will take responsibility for his actions and own up to them with an apology. my oldest's bio father though will never apologize and he has done a lot wrong not only by me but especially by his daughter. he's very self-centered and arrogant and thinks he can do no wrong.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My fiance and I will both apologize when necessary so it's not a problem here! Thank goodness! My ex-husband however..well everything was everyone elses fault so there would be no need to apologize...lol, what a douche!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My hubby says it shows weakness. He refuses to apologize at work. And usually won't at home, either. He SAYS he isn't sorry for anything he does, that he just doesn't do anything he's sorry for. But that just causes fights. Then he's completely baffled. Sometimes he will say he's sorry just to make me feel better, because it's what will make me feel better. But, if he doesn't say it right, I just get mad. Poor guy can't win sometimes. But in my defense, if he's done something wrong, he should apologize. And I shouldn't have to ask for it. So, when I do have to ask, and he does it out of anger, then I'm pissed. His apology doesn't mean anything. So we fight worse. If he wouldn't be an ass in the first place....

I guess some men do just see it as a sign of weakness. Drives us crazy. Mine hasn't gotten the hang of apologizing the right way at the right time to shut me up. His fault really:)
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Men are innate fixers... their way of being sorry is to explain or fix a situation. Also, the way a man (or woman) is trained to behave towards a client is not always the way they treat their close friends or wives. Professionally your lawyers training taught him to apologize to you and credit your mistake in order to appease the client.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• First of all, don't be fooled by your lawyer. There's a difference between being polite in a proffessional manner and what he does at home. He's talking to his client, he HAS to say "I'm sorry" if he makes a mistake. He most likely doesn't do it as easily at home, though he could be one of the rare men that do.

Men have a lot of pride and to say "I'm sorry" is to admit they did wrong. That's not easy for anyone to do, even women. I don't say "I'm sorry" very easily either, because I don't like admitting when I'm wrong either.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i wouldn't know about that my husband does say he is sorry when he feels he is. i believe him. he rarely makes excuses and or rationalizes why he did what he did.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It's a pride thing...they don't like to admit they are wrong. I don't think it's just men though. I have a hard time saying I'm sorry especially if I swore I was right. But I will definitely say it when it's needed.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 29, 2010