When do you make your kids do their homework?

Do they have to sit right when they get home to start on it, or do you let them wait until after dinner... When's the best time?

My daughter generally will do hers when she first gets home from school (while it's all still fresh in her mind). But I wonder sometimes if she would be able to focus better if I let her take a break from it all and do it right after dinner...

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 9:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in

• My kids get home at 3 pm. They have a snack, pick up their rooms, then have free time to decompress until 5 pm. I find that they approach it with much better attitudes and willingness to do their best if they have some time to decompress first, but after dinner it is late and they are tired. So 5 pm seems to be kind of the sweet spot.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I allow my kids to rest for 1/2 hr after they get home and then it is home work time.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Immediately when they get off bus and into the house...everyone to the table for snacks and homework...then play!
    sallysells

Answer by sallysells at 9:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Right when they get home from school.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• While i'm cooking dinner she sits at the kitchen table and does it but she's only in pre k so its not like she has a lot usually just 2 nights a week.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Usually right when they get home to get it over with. Although sometimes they look like they could really give their brains a rest, so I'll give them an hour to deflate and just chill.
    MomsJrHaxs

Answer by MomsJrHaxs at 9:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my son's teacher does not give alot of homework but what she gives for the week as homework he does it at his after school program...I check it at home, than he corrects it before or afer we have dinner.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• they actually prefer to get it done immediately while its still fresh and to get it over with so they can relax the rest of the afternoon.

having Autism, they already have a tough day, so I don't push it too much. I let em do what they can and let the school handle the rest.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Right when he gets home.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They start it after we get home. Sometimes they have a lot to do and then they continue after dinner.

I don't want them up until 10 working on a paper or science project. If they do then it is nearly impossible to get them up the next morning; it's enough of a battle on a good day.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:21 AM on Sep. 29, 2010