What is your first grader learning in school right now?

I'm a little concerned (which I have a parent-teacher conference tomorrow) that my daughter is bored in first grade right now. She's very smart, and I worry that if she's not challenged enough she may not do well in school.

What are your first graders learning right now?

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 9:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well I homeschool my first grader. She is learning multiplication for math right now. We are wroking on her sentence structure in LA, and she using a 2nd grade spelling book. We are learning World Geography this year and are about to finish up the science text we have been using and will be doing a unit study on the solar system.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I am concerned that my 6 yr old first grader's teacher is nuts. He has spelling tests weekly. He has a social science test Friday in which he needs to know about continents, seasons, states etc. He has 2 small books to read nightly per week. He has about 4 dozen high frequency words he has to read 3x's/day each week. That's in addiction to his actual homework of multiple math and English pages. We are literally doing homework & studying for a 2-3 hours per night since I have 3 kids to help.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My first grader's work load is similar to Orionsgirl - although I've only got one additional kid in 5th grade. In addition to what was listed above, we've also started flash cards for math facts.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My son is bored also. I was told that he could miss the whole year and not miss anything. So what is he learning? Nothing
    mom_of_3_9937

Answer by mom_of_3_9937 at 10:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i am so disappointed in my sons schooling this year! he is in the first grade, and can you believe they are still practicing their abc's? He is in a class with both first and second graders!
    I would not want as much work as Orions, but i would like a little more than 4 weeks of 4 year old material! They are studying their neighborhoods, not their world. They are reviewing counting and addition and shapes, not multiplication.
    I told my son that once it started getting dark earlier, that we would start doing some extra work at home. we do flash cards too. I also got some workbooks for the kids.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My daughter has been reading since she was 3, so she is now reading at a 5th grade level (she is 6). I have already talked with the principal, who says that they purchased an accelerated reader computer program for her to use during the other kids' reading time. However, I am concerned that she does not have enough to keep her occupied during the school day. Yes, she has homework nightly- but none of it is really challenging. I know that it is my job, as a parent, to continue the skills taught by her teacher... but I still feel that the teacher should be the one to be challenging my daughter as well. I didn't go to college to be an educator, I went for a business management degree- which clearly is not in the field of education. It upsets me that SHE came to me to tell me how bright my child is, but isn't doing anything about it to help my daughter.
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Wow! my kid is just average, and i am frustrated with the curriculum. would you consider homeschooling? it might be really good for your daughter!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If you have any concerns at all about your childs academics and how they are doing in class, DEFINATLY bring them up at your conference.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Consider an online curriculum. My dd is in connections academy, she is 1st grade and is learning chess and sign language. They put your child where she needs to be and not where the other kids are.
    unicornnymph22

Answer by unicornnymph22 at 2:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2010