Online Reading Sites for Pre-Schoolers

I'm trying to prepare my pre-schooler for school. When room opens up at the local ISD, she'll be able to start. She's a bright kid (not just saying that; I've been told by many others who've interacted with her) and I just want to make sure she's up to par with where the other kids are.

She has an extensive vocabulary for a girl her age (again, something other people are always telling me), she can count (in English and Spanish; thank you, Dora), as well as recognize colors and shapes. She plays matching games and which one doesn't belong here very well. I'm trying to teach her the alphabet and, eventually, spelling small words. I've been using www. starfall.com as a tool for this. It came highly recommended, but I'm wondering if there's something else she can do aside from that.

I'm not home with her enough during the week to work on it (I work 8-5 and her bed time is 8).

Thanks.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 9:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you thought about leapfrog? It says the words outloud when they put the stylis to the page...
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 12:18 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I always enjoyed the "Reader Rabbit" games when I was a kid. You may want to look into those.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• What is ISD? You want a variety of books. I find them at garage sales for about 10 cents each. She chooses which one she wants to read. What is important now is developing a love of books. Mine wants the same one over and over again.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:45 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Since she is away during the day, besure that she is in a daycare that has at least half a day of preschool. Since you are working, she will get the educational stimulus that is necessary in todays world.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• ISD = Independent School District

I can't afford daycare; I JUST started the job I'm working.

She's home with my mother-in-law all day. She was home with her when my daughter was still an infant and is a big reason why her vocabulary is as large as it is. My daughter already has a love for books, which I love. There are books all around her room and our home. I read to her at bed time a few times a week (right now, I'm reading American Girl - Felicity) and my husband reads to her as well (I can't remember the title of the book, but it's one of his favorite books).
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think there's a website with Dora to help pre-schoolers, but I'm told that's more for marketing and not so much about learning.
    _Tam_

• It sounds like she's doing great. One of the biggest things we're told kids need here is to do activities that will lengthen their attention span and help them to listen and interact with a group. More social skills than mental at least.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 4:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• tyheamma - I'm have no idea for activities since I'm not home during the day anymore. That may have to wait until she's actually in pre-school.
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• yup bing kindergarten
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:56 AM on Oct. 8, 2010