How long do you think it's good to breastfeed for?

I think up to a year is good because once they turn 1yrs old they can have breast milk and are eating more regular foods. This is what I plan to do with the child I'm pregnant with now, but what is your ladies oppinions on the length of breastfeeding?

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• At least a year if you can. Others have nursed longer.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:45 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• whatever works for you
    your plan sounds great
    i did for 7 months, after a few months i was pumping maybe 25% of time, then toward end 6 months or so, more % of pumping
    so she did bottle of breast milk and the boob
    when she started to prefer the bottle (more milk quicker i think was her idea) then i started to pump more and was pretty tired tof hooking myself up to the pump, so it slowly turned to bottle only
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• oops, I meant after a year they can have cows milk, dur! lol.
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I BF'd my girl until 2 mo ago, she was 26 mo when we stopped. I exclusively BF'd until 5 mo, when she was showing MORE than ready signs for solids so I let her have them, despite BF mamas saying I should wait til 6 mo. Then I BF'd and fed solids until she was 1, when I started the "Don't offer, don't refuse" method, only doing naps, bedtime, and comfort. She dropped her feedings off significantly by about 18-20 mo, and by the time she turned 2 we had been down to ONLY bedtime for quite a while. Then I got pregnant and I told her "Bee-bees are breaking" & I would refuse it to her sometimes, and she was OK with it. She actually felt sorry for ME - "Awww, I'm sorry your bee-bees are breaking, mommy". Finally after a couple of weeks of that, I told her they don't work anymore, they know she's a big girl and they are for tiny babies, like the one mommy has in her belly. She's completely fine with it. I'm happy we went so long.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Even after they "can" have cow's milk, breast milk is better. Think about the fact that we are the only species that routinly drinks other spiecies' milk. Cow's milk is a replacement for human milk; it's not a substitute until they have have "the real thing". Breast milk IS the "real thing".
    I think children should be able to nurse at least until they're 2, and beyond as long as mom and child both want to. Their immune systems are not even complete until 2 years old. They still need our antibodies. That was and will be again, my minimum goal.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• 12-15 months is what worked for us. I had wanted to get to at least a year with my kids. It didn't work with my first. He needed a bottle at least once a day with his reflux and I could not nurse him in public. It was just a mess (and it was before doctors believed that babies could have GERD.) My other 2 were easier to nurse. I knew what to do and the med for GERD were much better.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding until two.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• At least 1 year, preferably 2 or longer if it still works for mom and child.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:05 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• after a year I find it strange, JMHO<
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I will nurse for AT LEAST 2 years. That is what is recommended for optimal health and benefits. I will then continue until my child quits on their own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:09 AM on Sep. 29, 2010