So I failed my diabetes test...does that automatically say I have gestational diabetes?

I just got my 24-28 week diabetes test done yesterday and go the results via email last night. (Have to love Kaiser for that little feature!) I had a 204 when normal range ends at like 135. Obviously it's a bit high but do I automatically get categorized as a gestational diabetic? Anyone else have this result and what happened?

Anna-Chubaby

Asked by Anna-Chubaby at 9:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No. You have to take the three hours one and then they will tell. My dr also send me to a diabetes class and they gave me a machine to take my sugar for two weeks after that was when they decide that I in fact had gd. Good luck!
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i do not know
    but my sister was close to having but kept it in check and never "got it"
    so, good good luck to you, take care of yourself, listen to the doc and nurses
    MAYBE, you will have another check after diet changes ETC and be able to control
    i am praying for you and your health
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No, it means you have to take a more in depth test.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I had Gestational Diabetes with my last pregnancies but not with the first 2 so i was suprised. I got a 195 so i had to go back in and do the 3 hour test and it did come back that i had it. I was lucky tho that i could control mine with diet i had to get a monitor with the test strips and write down everythink i ate and poke my finger 4-6 times a day.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• So it's looking like I have 3 hour test to look forward to. I'm guess my doctor will call me today or tomorrow. He didn't expect the resukts back until Friday but I got the results last night.
    Anna-Chubaby

Comment by Anna-Chubaby (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Nope, now you have to take the 3 hr test.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:12 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Well does your family have history of diabete? You have to go to the brutal 3 hr testing and hopefully you'll pass. I went straight for the 3 hrs testing b/c of family history, and failed all 3. It's not the end of the world if you have GD, it will controll your weight. Good luck!
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No they will do another test
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If you fail the 3 hour, then you are diabetic. Dont worry. Its not that bad. I had it. Just do as they ask and everything will be fine!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010