Anyone really against kids having homework?

after having been at school all day already?

Its like going to work then coming home and doing more work.

I'm not a trained educator, so I can't really help them that much in some cases, and with Autism and meds wearing off, its not worth the stress at my house.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in

• yes i hate homework i think after spending 7-8 hours a day at school kids need to be kids at home and with all the talk about "family time" i like to know where we as a family are suppose to fit that in when each kid has at least 2hours of homework on top of there afterschool activities?......do you as an adult have to take your work home with you for 2-3hours a nite?
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I am totally against homework. Kids need time to play.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 9:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'm glad they have homework.. I love helping them (its just something else we can do together) and I like know what they are learning at school.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I dont believe in homework at all. One of the main reasons I am choosing Montessori for my son. Kids sit in class all day, there is NO reason that the teacher can't work all of the curriculum into their class time. After school is play time and family time. Both are more important to me than 2 hours of useless homework.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:21 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Not at all... It is great to see them doing homework..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 9:56 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• at the kindergarten stage, i like knowing what he's doing on his own, showing me what he's actually learning and comprehending per instruction (either by mouth or reading the worksheet). afterall, i'm not there to know what's going on...
    he's really good at wanting to do it. they get it on tuesday, and turn it in on friday. he's always anxious to do his homework right after he gets home from school.
    of course, that may change! :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:00 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think in moderation or just to finish up an assignment they did not finish in class
    DKK2010

Answer by DKK2010 at 10:06 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'm not in favor of it either. Our school system keeps them in school for long enough as it is, when I went to school by the time you got home and did your homework, there was barely enough time for anything else.
    Often you'll hear comments like 'kids in europe get 2 hours of homework every night' well, yeah, they are in school 2-3 hours less a day than American kids!

everyone knows the american school system is inferior- it may change someday.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think a little homework is ok, I always help my son or atleast sit with him while he does it. I think it helps keep parents involved. What I hate is that my 3rd grader brings home any where from 2-4 things home everyday, even on fridays. I think that is a little too much.
    AndriaE

Answer by AndriaE at 10:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Not really having any experience with autism or anxiety issues, maybe it's time to talk to your doctor and adjust the medications or the schedule on which they are taken?

I have 2 middle schoolers who actually are much happier doing their homework now because it is not just busy work. They get to exercise their brains not just do math sheets or write spelling word sentences. They are learning about current events and doing independent science projects. They also get about 30 minutes-1 hours of down time before they do homework, which also helps.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2010