I'm A Stay At Home Mom and My Oldest Goes To Pre-school

My oldest just turned 3 on Sept. 21.She is in pre-school from 8:30 -5:30. three days a week. Up until about a month before she turned 3 she was home with me. This is the reason we thought she would benifit from school She is a very bright young girl and wants to know about everything. I am boring and inimaginitive, so I think she was bored with me.
Also, this enables me to spend some one and one time with my 17 month old.
My mother is upset with me and says I am allowing someone else to raise my child. I don't look at it this way. What are your opinions? Just wondering.

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 10:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you stuck her in daycare from 4 weeks on and stayed home, I would agree with her, but, you were home with her and now it is just pre-school and she is 3. I think it is a good thing for hr and for you and you can focus on your younger one.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:15 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think that for a preschooler (3-4), 9 hours may be a bit much at a school. It doesn't sound like you work, so why would you send her that long? My 3 year old goes to preschool for 3 hours a day, but because I work she goes to daycare for 5 hours after that. You say so you can spend one on one time with your youngest.. When do you spend one on one time with your oldest?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:16 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• why is it that we accuse school of raising a child before kindergarten, yet we never hear that again once they are "school aged" Nobody ever accuses a parent of letting a elementary school raise their children....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Peanuts.. I believe that when a child gets older they have a longer attention span.. Preschool is great, but since she doesn't work I see no point in it.. She wants one on one time with her youngest.. what about her oldest. Each child needs one on one time.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:19 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Superr: He kid only goes 3 days a week. She has 4 other days for that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:21 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Peanuts: That's because school is law in most states. You have to do some form of it. Preschool and daycare and any school before 5 isn't law.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yah.. I misread that.. Sorry. But my question.. OP.. do you spend one one one time with the oldest too?

& Please know..I have no problem with sending a child to preschool.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree 100% with YOU. My two little ones are off to Pre School and Pre K. It is really what they needed. They have someone who has the patience and knowledge on how to feed their intelligence. They also have the opportunity and learn how to interact with children their age not just each other. I thing you made a great choice. Good Job.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 10:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I am a stay at home mom and my oldest will be 4 in a couple weeks and she just started pre school and she loves it!! I have a 2 yr old and a 7 month old at home so it give me more time to get housework done and spend a little more time with the baby. My DD goes to pre k everyday but its only from 8-12.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:24 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I do not see anything wrong with what you're doing. At 3 years old, she should be socializing with other children. Whether it be at the park, playgroups, or part time at school. Not only will she be socializing since she's in school but she will be learning. Where is the harm in playing with other kids and expanding their minds? If you were sending her full time and not working, then I could see where some people might have a problem with it. But 3 days a week, so she can be out of the home for a while, you can do some things at home and have time with the baby, I see nothing wrong with. I'm sure you have plenty of one on one time with her on her off days from school and on the weekends.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010