Teen Mom....

Really?? There's a show on this? I personally hate the show, even though I am a teen mom myself. I think it's a disgrace. 1: how is it fair that they get a show? They should have a show called Teen Mom in College or something. I don't find anything special about these girls that would stop other girls from having kids young. 2: Is it really a good idea to show teen parents in shows and magazines? Is it really good to show that you can get pregnant at 16 and then show them making money by being in magazines and what not. None of the rest of us get that luxary how should they? Sorry, I had to rant a little.

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Entertainment

• I think its a little off as well, and agree with your ranting :)
    HuntersMom25

Answer by HuntersMom25 at 10:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• have you ever watched it? it does focus a lot on their struggles. one of them is a single mom because the father of the baby died before she was even born, she lives on her own, is working and struggling to pay her bills. another is also a single mom because the dad is a dead beat dad who doesnt give a shit about their son, she just moved to go to college and take care of her son on her own. one of them couldn't graduate because of the time she took off from school while she was pregnant, her mom and stepdads are psycho and she even gave her baby up for adoption. and finally one is crazy, abusive and in a terrible relationship with her baby's daddy. yes, they make money for being on the show. but nobody helps them, they do it on their own. they make mistakes and try to make ends meet and raise their kids like every other mom, teen or not.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I've watched the show and I think it's suppose to show teenage girls the reality of becoming a teen mom. The teens on this show face plenty of struggles, I don't think the show is glorifying teen parenthood.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yeah I've watched and I'm aware of everything they do. But I'm looking at it from a teens perspective. They wouldn't focus on those things. I guess I'm bitter because I feel I'm working twice as hard as they are with no recognition. Not that I need it, but I don't think they need it either.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 10:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes I think it is very important to show that you can get pregnant at 16! I haven't personally watched the show but I am guessing it shows that it is difficult, they must make a lot of sacrifices from what would have been a more normal teen life. Sure the girls on the show or magazines might be making some money by showing the difficult life they now have but they are not advertising to get pregnant any more than a spokesperson sharing their story on contracting HIV.
    anniedooday

Answer by anniedooday at 11:04 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I definitely think it glorifies teen pregnancy in a way making teens think "oh if I get pregnant, maybe I can get on TV and on the cover of magazines too". But at the same time, the show really protrays the struggles that they all have with relationships, school, money and life in general since having kids. It definitely doesn't show much positive outcomes of these kids having babies so young, so it's really a catch 22 I guess.

I do like that MTV puts out the messages during every show about where to get information on Birth Control and Domestic Violence etc.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• teen pregnancy is a common thing now so why not have a show on it. it does show there ups and downs. should we just take t.v. off the air because everyone on it got a lucky break and is making lots of money and we are not? not likely.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 11:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree with you to some extent. The show really does show the struggles but I think putting them as guests on other shows and magazine covers is going a little far. I do not know if any of you watched the show last night with Amber and Gary but it was riditculous that MTV showed Amber physcially abusing Gary and nothing was done about it!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Wait a second, you're upset because they are making money and you are not? Really?! You would have done better to leave out the jealousy. They do struggle. I don't know where the money they are making goes because it doesn't look like any of them are living out their dreams. I know it sucks to be so young and have the responsibility of a child but that is something you have to live with now. I am the product of a teen pregnancy. I got to watch my parents struggle for so long. They didn't blame anyone for it because their own actions caused it. The best thing you can do is get an education and a good job. Then you have to be upset at anyone else because you'll have what you want and your child will have what they need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree I think those shows are horrible
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010