how do i know when to disapline my 2yr old?

i have a boyfriend that is not the father of my baby and he thinks i do not know how to disapline her. he has no kids of his own. he thinks that she crys tooo much and that she is a brat. well because she just started sleeping by her self and i lay with her in her bed for her to fall asleep. and then she isn't that potty trained yet. so if she doesn't do something right she goes in time out. yesterday he wanted her to sit in time out all day.(time she woke up to the time she went to bed.) is this right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• when they have a clue what your talking about :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You need to get rid of him!
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Wow, really?

Time outs are only 1 minute per year of age. So, 2 minutes max.
    Not all 2 year olds are potty trained, some are 4 before they are.
    2 year olds cry and whine. That's why they are called the terrible twos.
    The more you get on to her for little crap and the more he tries to sit her in time out all day...the less effective discipline will work and the worse she will act.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You Know, (in time out 'all' day till bed time, Is Not Right?), If you seriously don't, then I fear for this childs Safety...... (The Toddler age of 2 and 3 are usually the worst years, they go through a stage of not being very good, .. I don't think its a good idea to over discipline at this age, all kids go throughit)......... -------------- Your 100% Resonsibility is to take care of your child, Get Rid of This boyfriend, before he actually starts hurting the child... Alot of Men, won't take on another guys kid, and they will abuse the kid....... and hold a grudge against the kid. ----- (Why don't you call the YWCA, and ask if they have some programs for you, with a child this age).... You'd have a support group of people your age, and You'd get some good Help and Information)... Please give them a call.. if they don't have a program for you and your child, ask them to recommend one... Please do this.. Please...
    Kay300

Answer by Kay300 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You need to discipline her now but at age 2 a two minute time out is appropriate. It goes by the age if she turns 3 she needs a 3 minute time out. That is a long time for a toddler to sit. Sleeping beside her until she falls asleep may not be the best answer, she may expect this all the time. Read her a story and maybe put on some soft music assure her that everything is alright. Maybe praise her and give her a special treat for staying in her bed. You may have to go in with her several times at first until she gets used to it. Tell your boyfriend to back off, You will discipline her in the matter you see fit.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• thank you all i lready knew it wasn't right that is why she didn't sit there. i tell him i am her mother and i know the best for her. i've dune it all by my self this far so i think i am doing great. and he tells me that i need to go to parenting classes. so he was making me think i was doing something wrong wjhen I KNOW i am NOT!! but thank you all for anwsering my question. i knew i am right.. i am a wonderful mommy..!!!!!
    allynichole

Answer by allynichole at 10:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes, ma'am, you are right and he needs the classes. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• So who ssits him in time out when he acts like a child? Would he like to sit there all day? Just because you have no kiids doesn't mean you have no common sense. In know what needs disciplined and what doesn't. 2 year olds are awesome. They dump things out to see it fall, then smear it to touch, smell, make handprints all down the walllwith it, feed the fish cheetoes, that's what kids do. Take him to the class if he refuses. I'd I'd refuse him.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't trust him with her. He's obviously not the "dad" type, at least not yet, and I would tell him he doesn't have the right to tell me how to raise my daughter. It's not like you're married and he's the step dad. Right now, he doesn't have a say in the way you're raising her. Advice is good, he can do that. He can express his opinion. But wanting a 2-yr-old to get a time out that lasts more than 2 minutes is crazy.
    I think I would consider braking up with him. He's obviously not the right dad for your daughter.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 10:50 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• you are doing great as a mom but ditch the boyfriend because it doesn't sound like he would be a very good male role model for you baby
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 11:20 AM on Sep. 29, 2010