Do you have a son with ADHD? That is not on meds? How do you deal with it?

My 8 year old has ADHD. I guess I am looking for advise from parents on how they deal with daily task, school work, home work, and not get frustrated...We have finially decided that it is time to see a doctor again because he is not turning in school work and he is failing the 3rd grade. Not because he can't do the work, but, because he just wont turn it in and he can't stop worring about everything else around him. Well, there is a LOT more to it then that and if you have a child with adhd you know what I am talking about! We are on a 3 month waiting list to get an appointment!! Anyway, I'm just all out of ideas! Remember this question is ideas on how to handle his condition for myself not for him lol . Hope that makes sense!

Thanks!

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We'd go nuts if they weren't on the meds. Taken in the right dosage, the meds work fine. If there's cases where kids act "off" then its just a matter of it being either the wrong type of med or the wrong dosage.

When the meds wear off they get kooky and often I get stir crazy and me and DH have to take turns with em. Personally I go for walk, take a bath, work on the garden, walk the dog, go to the gym, go shopping, alone... and he does the same for himself.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Good nutrition.....cooking only from scratch.....no high fruitcose corn syrup or anything with food dye in it.....(apples, for example)....make sure they get plenty of time outside to just run and get plenty of fresh air and sunshine....have him do homework 10 minutes at a time, with a break for running...unless he happens to hyper focus on something, and then let him run with it. For now, keep his stuff organized for him.....schedules and organization......it's crazy how long you have to wait for a doctor's appointment!
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my kid's don't like going outdoors and we have no problem getting doctor's appointments :)

Keep the foods low in cholesterol, as well.
    Caffeine and sugars actually seem to help (in moderation) for Spectrum kids. If their chemical balance is off (hydration, food, internal core temperature, etc), then they have a harder time.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• diet. patience. scheduling. working with him. Why in the world is there a 3 month list. Can't you go elsewhere?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:28 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• I have an almost 7 yo son who is in the 1st grade. He has struggled thru PreK, Kinder & the 1st part of 1st grade. We just started him on a natural meds regime. He is on Omega 3, B Complex, B-12 & a natural multi vitamin & a natural magnesium tab. We give him the B12 & & the Omega 3 & the multi in the Am, then the B Complex when he gets home & then the magnesium tab @ night. The 2nd night he took the magnesium he slept ALL night! I had a hard time waking him up! He was calmer when he got to school. He has had such a hard time sitting, focusing & doing his tasks in class & at P.E. He thinks he can do what he wants. Hopefully all this will settle him so he can do better in school. I am very adament about NOT putting him on any meds like Ritalin, Adderall, or Concerta. My 19 yo son was on those 3 @ different times & they made him sick & he didn't like the way they made him feel. I'm happy with my decision!
    Bunnee

Answer by Bunnee at 11:17 AM on Sep. 30, 2010