My 5 month old twins are still not sleeping through the night :( what can I do to make their sleeping patterns better?

Twins 5 months old Justin & Brooklyn. Put them to bed around 8pm they wake up about once every 2 hours, I've tryed to let them fall asleep on their own, but after about a minute or two they are just so upset.

JenyL

Asked by JenyL at 4:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You must be exhausted.
    I hate to tell you this but there are no magic bullets.
    Part of the problem is that their brains are still maturing. Actual changes in the brain help babies learn to sleep longer.
    Part of the problem is that they are used to you coming in.
    Every new thing they learn or try to master will also disrupt sleep; as will teething and colds.

Keep in mind that they do not need food every 2 hours in the night. If you are feeding them, can you switch them to water for these wakings? Many babies stop waking up so much if all they get is water. The "incentive" is gone.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• I don't think the assumption that they don't need to feed is correct. I know of toddlers who were terribly hungry in the middle of the night. Depends on their metabolism. Depends on the child.

Could also be that they just need to suck. Not necessarily food, but just as comfort. Do they use a nuk at night?

It could also be a growth spurt. They're not quite able to relax themselves back to sleep, so they wake up.

You could try some white noise. A radio on static or a fan on low.

Good luck!

Karri_B

Answer by Karri_B at 6:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2008