Do you know that September is childhood cancer awareness month and the ribbon color is gold?

Cancer is the #1 disease killer of our children. About 12,500 children are diagnosed each year with about 20% of them not surviving 5 years. Of the survivors, 2/3 will be left with lifelong effects of the treatment that "saved" them. 20% of adults cancers are metastasized on intial diagnosis but 80% of childhood cancers are metastasized! There frequently is a cause for adult cancers but not for childhood cancers. Only one new childhood cancer drug has been approved in 30 years because the drug companies don't find it "lucrative". For every dollar raised for cancer research, 1/2 of a penny goes to childhood cancer research. Instead of thinking of cancer as 1 in ____, lets think of it as in years lost. My child passed away at 8 and a half, so he lost approximately 68 years based on a average life expectancy. Contact CureSearch.org or St. Baldricks to help.

sjs

Asked by sjs at 11:08 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yup, I was well aware of all that. Too bad there isn't much publicity on it. If childhood cancers got half the publicity and funds that breast cancer aware does, alot of our children could be saved. BTW, my 17 year old son is a cancer survivor
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:11 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That's my mission in life now....to increase publicity. What kind of cancer did your son battle? That's great he's a survivor! Is his name Zak? My son's name is Zack and he passed from Wilms Tumor 2 years ago.
    sjs

Comment by sjs (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I didn't know that.. Thank you for the info!

SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Oh I am so so sorry to hear about your loss! I won't even pretend to understand how you feel. My son was born with Bilateral Retinoblastoma, cancer of the retina. He was diagnosised at 3 months of age and underwent 6 weeks of radiation therapy and YEARS of check-ups under anesthesia and other treatments. He is legally blind, but he does amazing. He was also born with congential heart and kidney defects. His kidney corrected itself over time and he had his heart fixed last year. The kid has been through the ringer.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010