I am a busy single mother.....

Everyday after work there is somewhere me and my daughters have to be, weather its dance class, soccer practice or a game or church....so when we get home, i have to help them with the 2 hours of homework the teachers have assigned...so im very limited on time for dinner. i dont want to hit the drive thru, so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, maybe crock pot recipes, something! lol. i would just like to give my kids a home cooked meal every night without sending them to bed at midnight. thank you for taking the time to read, remember...ANY SUGGESTION IS HELPFUL! =0)

hondagurl209

Asked by hondagurl209 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Stick a pork or beef roast in the crockpot with some veggies, or make chicken soup in the crockpot, or chili. Then there's spagetti, tacos, stir fry is pretty quick. Also, you could make things after they go to bed, like a casserole and just put it together to the point that it's ready to bake, then you could juts throw it in the oven when you get home. Tuna casserole is quick, too, or you could put it together the night before.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• make stuff ahead, too-- freeze it so you will have it next week! soups and casseroles are really good for that.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Some of the simplest meals are old fashioned meat and a carb with a veggie. I bake or crock pot turkey, chicken, porkchops or fish. I change the meals by making stuffing or potatoes; rice or noodles; sauerkraut or mushroom soup; lemon and butter or salsa respectively. Salad, broccoli or green beans. If I didn't have a man to feed, I would do chef's salad; chicken, egg or tuna salad and crackers; cheese and crackers; soup and have veggies and dip on the side. I would do meatloaf, meatballs (Italian and Swedish), clean chicken etc. on the weekend so it was ready to go during the week.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 7:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• You can put frozen chicken breast in a crock pot w/ 2 cans of cream of chicken soup or cream of mush soup amd when you get home just put it over rice. Cook it on low if it's all day..
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 7:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• There are a zillion crock pot meals, and you don't have to stop at the traditional roasts or chickens. Sloppy joes, taco meat, stews, meatballs...all can be done with the crock pot. One really easy and delicious meal is to brown a chuck roast then put into the crock pot with a jar of salsa. By the time you get home you'll have the most amazingly tender taco or burrito filling.

Also, there are a lot of meals that can be done in a low oven or at a simmer on the stove as well...soups and chilis, chicken & ribs with dressing, rice casseroles, etc.

You can also throw together meals in 30 min. Get prepared chicken breasts and make a quick parmesan by adding a mound of shredded mozzarella and some spaghetti sauce; throw it in the oven while you make spaghetti noodles. 20 min later you have chicken parmesan!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Stir fry is quick and easy too, and if you spend a little time one day of the weekend you can prep everything for the weeks meals ahead of time, so when it comes time to cook you only have to put it all together. For instance, buy chicken or pork or steak. freeze until partially frozen, then slice thinly and freeze completely. In the morning, take out however much you think you'll need to thaw, and when you get home you can make a quick stir fry or fajitas in no time.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Hey!
    I came up with a quick, easy and delicious dinner just last night! I took two boxes of Long Grain and Wild Rice Pilaf Rice-A-Roni. I dumped in all of the rice and the seasonings with the butter. Then, I drained 2 cans of chunked chicken and two cans of sliced mushrooms over a measuring cup. I used that liquid plus water to make the liquid to cook the rice in. Then, I followed the rest of the directions. For a healthy side dish, I cooked frozen mixed veggies. Dinner was ready in 20 minutes and was super good! My hubby had two servings! I hope you like it as much as we did!
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 23, 2008