Do you think if we better educated our children in HISTORY...

...they would in turn be better educated on religious matters?

After reading through some of the "this country was founded on Christianity" answers to another question I am continually astounded by the amount of people who are not only undereducated on religion, but on HISTORY...

I mean, ALL religions are based on myths, so they are subjective. They can be interpreted differently depending on who is teaching. History on the other hand, isn't something which should be based on myth - although it is. We teach historical myths rather than fact, and then as adults our nation is undereducated and we can't understand why...

And on the wake of this survey stating that American's don't know religion, I wonder if the two work hand in hand more than we tend to see.

So, do you think if we better educate our children on historical FACT rather than myth, they would have a better understanding of today's religious beliefs and basics?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:12 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• yeah I think if people were educated about alot of things, there'd be alot more common sense out there
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:14 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• – collapse
    Ummm, history lesson. It was founded on Christianity. Christians were being persecuted in other countries and actually being executed for non conversion. This gave them the idea to come to America. Yes there were people living here before it was called a country, but the Christians are a big reason for it being here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• But, they weren't ALL Christians, they were also, atheists , orthodox and deists! Sorry left that part out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• To be able to do that, we would first have rewrite all the history texts and get rid of the white-washed, watered-down, PC versions that are currently being used in schools. Sadly, I don't see this ever really happening.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Thank you Anon - you have completely proven my point... Please do some research on FACTS rather than on church propagandized historical myth...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• "I mean, ALL religions are based on myths, so they are subjective."
    ...............
    Can't help but smile. Your remark itself, however innocently made, demonstrates blaytant subjectivity :)
    ShyMo

Answer by ShyMo at 11:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• And that was the point... If you find me a religion (or lack there of) which isn't based on at least some form of personal interpretation... ALL religions (whether we like it or not) are based on some form of mythology... And until we have some kind of time travel so we can go back and watch these stories unfold for ourselves, they will always be up for interpretation...

Our own nations history, should NOT be like this... Yet, it is.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Nope, sorry, the only thing my comment proved was your quickness to defend something you know nothing about yourself. How about look up some stuff before you try to prove your own point so at least you are armed with facts. You are attempting to call others ignorant but doing the same ting yourself. Be accountable for your post. I think this was based more on your anti christian views more than facts. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My views are far from Anti-Christian, however they are pro-fact and pro-history... The first waves of pilgrims to come here were running from religious oppression, and the vast majority of them were Christian. But the country was not founded on Christianity it was founded instead on the freedom of each person to choose their own path. In fact if you do some research you'll find that more than one of our founding fathers was rather anti-religion. In fact Thomas Jefferson stated: "History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose. " Doesn't sound like he would have agreed to ANY government based on Christianity... HE stood for separation and freedom of religion, not a country based on one...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Of course many Americans did practice Christianity, but so also did many believe in deistic philosophy. Indeed, most of our influential Founding Fathers, although they respected the rights of other religionists, held to deism and Freemasonry tenets rather than to Christianity.

Again, basic education on these facts would prove more beneficial than those taught based on propagandized myths...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2010