How to get neices and nephews to mind

My mother recently go grandparents rights and the children are now 13, and 11. They come to my house because my moms apartment is way to small for all those kids, my kids are 11, and 12 and they want to spend time together. So my mom comes to my house and we all spend time together doing things. The only problem is they are only here for one weekend a month and they think they don't have to listen when we tell them not to do something. How do we punish them when they are here for such a short time and there is nothing we can take away except an activity we are doing that day. They never get to do anything so it's hard to take away fun.

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Just explain firmly that children their age should know how to behave. They don't need a time out. They are to old
    soccerfanatic14

Answer by soccerfanatic14 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Your neice and nephew are old enough to have a talk to and get the full understanding why they feel they don't have to listen to you or your mother.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Be brutally honest with them. If they want respect they have to earn it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Put them in time out - one minute per every year of age - 11 minutes for the 11 year-old and 13 minutes for the thirteen-year old
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 12:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• They're old enough to be talked to very firmly. My nieces are like my own daughters. They've never challenged me like this. I mean, they got in trouble when they were little but they got into trouble like my own children did and I was given permission to discipline them like I would my own children. I wouldn't have had it any other way. Maybe you should talk to their parents with the kids present. Once they realize that you and their parents are on the same page, they probably won't push you. I really feel strongly about how your nieces and nephews should treat you like their second parents. You deserve respect from them but this has to be taught by you and their parents. WHY are they treating Grandma like this too? THAT would definitely stop. Good luck mama:-)
    shellakers

Answer by shellakers at 12:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2010