Should I press this issue about stepdaughter?

My stepdaughter told me last night that her mom forced her to drink "jack" (she described as a yucky drink that burned her throat) when she was bad. Sounded a whole lot like whisky to my adult ears. She is six years old. Should I encourage my husband to ask her (not attack, just inquire) about whether this was used as a punishment? He and I are scared all the time about losing the few moments we get outside of our official weekends with our daughter.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I say yes, absolutely, he should bring this up with your step-daughter's mother. If she is forcing her to drink whiskey, it makes me wonder what other forms of "punishment" she may be using!
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 11:24 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes! I would definetely ask, if its true you have no reason to worry about loosing time with her, you should most definetely be gettting more time with her. Thats just wrong
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:25 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• why would you not?!?!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yeah, he should talk to her... although I seriously doubt she'd own up to it... I would probably just get CPS in on it and have them talk to the daughter themselves. That is some crazy crud! Making a six year old drink whiskey as a punishment... holy hell what is wrong with people???
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 11:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think I would call his lawyer for advice about how to handle this first. Obviously, this is serious and something needs to be done, but unless you know how the ex will behave, I wouldn't take a chance on making her angry.

Definitely do not ignore the situation. That's child abuse, and clearly inappropriate.

So sorry that you guys and a 6 year old child have to deal with this. Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:28 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes!!!
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:30 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes. Anything that worries you, concerns you, or makes you think twice should ALWAYS be investigated. If you're truely worried then have CPS investigate. Do not by any means let this go.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't be speaking with her at all. She certainly wouldn't own that behavior and you/your spouse would appear confrontational. There's nothing to be gained by speaking to her, accusing her, confronting her - it would serve no purpose other than starting a battle.
    I'd be speaking to CPS - let them investigate.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 12:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• YES
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 1:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• If this is the type of person who would "force" a child to drink Jack Daniels, then this isn't a rational stable intelligent adult. I agree with gaccck, you shouldn't confront this person. If you have a suspicion that this actually happened, you should report it to CPS.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2010