Clean out your medicine cabinet Saturday...sponsored by the DEA

WASHINGTON – Tim Strain was a victim of prescription drugs, not an abuser. His girlfriend's mother gave the 18-year-old additional pain medication for a serious burn, producing a fatal drug interaction.

Now his parents, Bernie and Beverly Strain, want the memory of their son to make a difference for others. The suburban Philadelphia couple are joining with the Drug Enforcement Administration to encourage people to take a few minutes on Saturday to clean out their medicine cabinets.
The national prescription drug "Take-Back" campaign will offer more than 4,000 sites around the nation where the public can drop off expired, unused and unwanted prescription drugs.

"We have an epidemic," says acting DEA administrator Michele Leonhart, whose agency is working with thousands of state and local agencies and the Partnership for a Drug-Free America on Saturday's campaign.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 11:22 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Will you clean out your cabinets?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100923/ap_on_go_ot/us_dea_prescription_drugs

clicky

lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I go through mine monthly. Takes me 5 minutes tops.
    emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Nope, sorry. Not going to......and I don't give other people my meds, that's just stupid. I have a reoccuring condition and I have no insurance right now. I don't take anything on a daily basis so I'm pretty sure antibiotics and vicodin aren't going to kill me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Thanks for the info..i will b sure to pass it on...and yes i jus threw out dated meds away a few moths ago
    TezMoM

Answer by TezMoM at 11:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I go through mine regularly, but I don't see the connection with cleaning out your cabinets and an accidental over dose of meds.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I do check expiration dates and toss them . But all I have are OTC vitamins and my blood pressure medication---up in a kitchen cabinet. No prescription pain meds,no other prescription meds.
    I do think that Vicodin is dangerous,though,anon. It is a pain medication and too many taken at one time could kill.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think it's great to give people a safe way to dispose of dangerous prescription drugs! With all of the drugs flushed down toilets and contaminating our drinking water, we're seeing all kinds of deadly effects from that. And throwing them away where they'll either get stolen by bums or dumpster divers, or eaten by animals, is just as bad. I have medicines that are expired that I will never use, but I don't know how to get rid of them so yes, I will be taking advantage of this!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 3:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Nope.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• National Take Back Day was last Saturday..... but we didn't have any leftover stuff anyway. To the pp who mentioned antibiotics...you have to use them all or toss them. They are not designed to be stores and used later; it might not kill you but could make you sick.

And preventing drug abuse isn't the only purpose. It's also to keep toxins out of the water supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I try to always make sure to clean them out once every couple of months. It doesn't take much time and can save a life. I also try to make sure labels are easy to read.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 1:41 AM on Sep. 30, 2010