Breastfeeding and food allergies

I really don't want to stir up drama, so please state your opinion nicely and respect the opinions of others.
That said, I'm curious... which do YOU feel is a better option if faced with this challenge:

A baby has a list of food allergies. Definitive allergies, checked and double checked. Diet will need to be seriously restricted and it will be both difficult and expensive to do so.

In YOUR opinion, is it better for the family to have the baby switch to hypo-allergenic formula or for mom to change her diet to conform to a list of allergies? Why?

emhain

Asked by emhain at 11:27 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I didn't know that if the child has food allergies, the nursing mother can't have that food. Interesting. How old is the child?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Me personally would do what ever I have to to breast feed. I have a friend that had to change everything in her diet for her little boy. She did it and was able to keep breast feeding him. He is almost two and still breast feed.

But you need to do what is best for your family.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• the formula. Mom could be missing out on many nutrients by having such a restricted diet. Cost is another issue. For example if peanuts or soy were the allergy,she wouldn't be able to have any already prepared foods for fear of them containing one of these allergens.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• What has to be decided is what is going to best not only for that child but for the child in general. So that family needs to do what they need to do whether it is to continue nursing or to switch to formula.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• --i meant for the family in general
    coala

• Well, the child is four now :) This was a decision I had to make when she was about 5 months. She was allergic and her reaction was eczema. She itched so bad she was literally tearing her skin off. It was awful. But, in my case, it was only 3 foods she was allergic to. I know many, many kids have a list of 8 or more.

And yes, if baby is allergic, mom can't eat it either.

I made my decision and never looked back, I was just curious what other opinions there were on the subject.
    emhain

Comment by emhain (original poster) at 11:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would try my best to alter my diet so that I could keep on breastfeeding, but if it ever got to a point where doing that was becoming a stress factor in my life, I'd switch to the formula.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• We have food allergies and I exclusively breast feed.

The dietary changes I have to make are not expensive because I'm willing to cook. A lot of people can't imagine a whole food diet that is free of gluten, shellfish, soy, etc and think they have to buy special food. It's not about what you buy-- it's what you do NOT buy. We spend about half the money on our gluten free mostly organic diet than my SIL and her hubby (no kids yet) spend on their walmart boxed food.

The cost of hypoallergenic formula is high.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would change my diet. If you think about it, the mom is going to have to learn to cook according to the allergies soon enough anyway.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 1:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• that's very interesting. we were taught in Lactation Training that babies were not allergic to breastmilk, at least it would be very very rare. They do have Intolerances to things mom eats.
    If I knew that by avoiding a few foods would prevent those reactions in my baby, I would do it because, quite frankly breast milk is the best thing I can give my child. If however, my baby was truly allergic and did not tolerate breast milk at all, I would feed him formula. But that would be a LONG stretch to get to that.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010