How can a mother do this???

How can a mother feel disgusted at a son/daughter for coming out to them they as gay? I can understand the initial shock, I have been there but it didn't last long, but how can a mother or a parent for that matter put more value on religion and Bible teachings or what people will say than their own flesh and blood?

I see this so often and for many years and yet I can't still understand it, can someone enlighten me?

Asked by older at 11:30 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Yeah I know older it's very sad. What I love about her songs though is sad or not they are so true and make you stop and think. It's horrible, but exist and that is what we need to worry about making sure our kids know they are good enough and not worrying if they are gay, atheist, or marrying some on we don't approve of. They are our babies our treasures and should be treated like gold.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• the same way that some just leave and forget they had kids in the first place, but i'm not sure how that is.
    momandytai

Answer by momandytai at 11:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• the same way some feel they can't handle it anymore, walk away and leave Dad to fend for himself with the kids while she gets herself a new SO and forgets they exist. Happened to my brother.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• The bible teaches UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. No matter what.
    SDMama77

Answer by SDMama77 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't understand how a parent could have such ill feelings about their child's love preference. I'd be happy for my child as long as they had a loving relationship, and with who or what gender, I could care less about. They can still adopt children, or get pregnant via IVF. It's not the end of the world and it baffles me how some view it like that. Love is love, and I wish more people were as open to it as us ladies.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:47 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think it is upsetting to many parents when they find this out, parents have dreams of their children getting married and having children. This dream usually ends when they find this out. They also look at being gay as abnormal behavior and who wants to admit that your child isn't normal. If my children came to me and told me that they were gay I would try to act like I was ok with it, but deep down inside I would be very sad for them because I know that their life will not be easy.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 11:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I could never do that!!! I have gay friends and when I found out they were gay I did not feel any differently towards them!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't know how a parent could do that to their child. The family is the one place where they seek the most love and support. To be disregarded is terrible.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• What you just described is not a mother., It is a person that will not love you any way but only except you if you are what they want you to be. Heres a great song for what I mean...

"Perfect"

Sometimes is never quite enough
    If you're flawless, then you'll win my love
    Don't forget to win first place
    Don't forget to keep that smile on your face

Be a good boy
    Try a little harder
    You've got to measure up
    And make me prouder

How long before you screw it up
    How many times do I have to tell you to hurry up
    With everything I do for you
    The least you can do is keep quiet

Be a good girl
    You've gotta try a little harder
    That simply wasn't good enough
    To make us proud
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't know. My brother is gay, and my parents love and totally support him.
    collegemom123

Answer by collegemom123 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 29, 2010