Oh my....I should know better than to ask this questions.

So I just wrote a paper on why I think more public schools should get daycares and I'm kind of wondering what others think. But before you go off and run with this let me give a little information. I actually went to a high school where we had a daycare for the students to use. We had a class in there to spend with our kids and do work for the class that will help us be better, nurturing parents. When we had the class we were required to have a passing grade in the class to use the daycare. Another thing is we always brought the food, clothes, diapers, etc. for our child. Nothing was provided but the service of child care. Also the daycare provided a class for students looking for a career in child care (supervised of course) and it helped them get their certification. Read my comment for more info.

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Now, I know one of the concerns with this is taxpayers money, but if you were to add up the amount of money that goes into paying for a teenage parent/high school drop out it would definitely surpass the amount of money that would go into a daycare. Lastly, the fact that it would lead to more teenage promiscuity is a load of bull. Do you honestly think that a teenage, in the heat of the moment, would justify his/her choices because their high school has a daycare?
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I honestly think that doing that will allow more teen parents to finish their education in order to provide a better life for the baby that for the most part was unplanned. If more schools offered this is would be a fantastic thing. I don't agree with teens getting pregnant b/c they can but I do think that they should be able to do what is in their best interest and the best interest of that baby and getting an education is on the top of the list.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't think it leads to them having sex,but I believe it may get them thinking that its no big deal if i get pregnant,the school has daycare. When there's someone there to take the burden off of them,be it daycare or grandma,they're more likely to make stupid choices.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No I don't think that would justify the choice but it would help them create a better life for themselves should it occur.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think it's a wonderful idea.
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 11:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• First, congratulations on making your education a priority. Not only will your future and your child's be better because of it, but you're setting a great example.

Obviously, I'd prefer to see fewer teen pregnancies (Keeping in mind that I was a child to teen parents, and am grateful to be here), however, this to me is just like the people who say don't allow teens to get birth control because providing it will give the message that we condone teen sex. Bottom line, teens are going to have sex, I don't believe we can prevent it, give them resources......

And, you are absolutely right, the cost of the daycare at our schools, especially one that provides parent education, is much less than the cost of welfare because the mom couldn't get an education, and the cost of child abuse and neglect for parents that aren't equipped to be parents.

Good luck with your future....and enjoy your baby!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I went to school in vegas. There were a few high school that had child cares similar to what you described and high schoolers that were pregnant were transferred to those high school to try and help them to graduate.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I support them. I think that what you said is true...it costs less and is better to pay for teens daycare than to support them the rest of their lives b/c they didnt graduate!

I would of course like to add some parenting classes and preventing pregnancy classes along with the daycare too..I think those are needed as well!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I absolutely agree with this concept, the ladies before me pretty much summed up my points. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think it'd be a good idea.
    pinkflowerpetal

Answer by pinkflowerpetal at 2:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010