How do I start selling my homemade salsa here in Florida?

mom2zats

Asked by mom2zats at 11:32 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Maybe try any kind of craft fairs, local farmers markets are a good choice they always have lots of yummy homeade items...
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Do you have a local farmer's market? That is always a great place to start. Also you could look around at local "mom and pop" type stores that carry local goods. Good luck!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:35 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Samples go a long way, I would bring them to restaurants, and stuff like that. Little bodega's that sell homemade food.

People have to taste before they buy. Word of mouth, throw a little get together with friends and tell them to invite one friend outside your circle and they will let other people know.

I would think that would be the best way. I know a girl who sells coco during the holiday 25.00 a galloon, she makes a killing through a friend, and my cousin makes I forgot what they are called-but it is wrapped in banana, raisins, pork ummm ummm good, she makes them for the holiday, she gets overwhelmed sometimes....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You have to be really careful about canning salsa. Because of the onions (low acid) and tomatoes (high acid) in them, if you don't do it a certain way, then it could cause food poisoning, specifically botulism. First, I would check with your health department to see what you will need to do. Some states allow home kitchens while others do not. Next, if you are given the go ahead, I would read more info about the proper way to can salsa- http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/news/sty/2007/homemade_salsa090507.htm. Third, once you have everything together and all the proper licenses/paperwork, then you can market you salsa at county fairs, farmer's markets, etc. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:37 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Before you do anything, make sure that you make yourself legally a business. Not only for tax purposes, but so that you have all licences you need and label your jars correctly. The last thing you want to do is start selling and be shut down because you didn't follow procedures. After you've done that, you can try selling to local farmers markets and grocery store chains. You can also sell via a website of your own and build a Facebook and Twitter page. Join LinkedIn and start networking.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• www.etsy.com its a place to sell homemade things and u can sell your salsa all over the country then i use it to buy things from sellers
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 3:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Is is fresh or are you canning it? And can you ship it? Facebook has all sorts of small businesses starting up and advertising on there. Many of them are really starting to do great.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 6:55 AM on Sep. 30, 2010