If it's his weekend..

I am the leader for 3rd grade girl scouts. We have 2 awesome trips planned and 2 of the girls can't go because it is their dad's weekend. WTH?! I cant imagine how frustrating that is to not be able to schedule any activites for their weekend. Do any of you deal with this. I felt really bad for the kids who clearly wanted to go!!

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 11:38 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's terrible. Why can't dad take them?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yep - it's the "joys" of divorce. So sad that, once again, it's the kids who lose out.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:39 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That is sad but i havent had to deal with this my husband is the father of all 3 of our children :) I couldnt imagine having to do that.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:40 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Without knowing the person, I can't judge. We don't have the Dad's story here. Maybe he doesn't get to spend time with his girls very often and this is his time to do so. We really don't know the story here. Schedules conflict in life, it happens all the time.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Guess I'm lucky because my ex-hubby and I gladly swap custody days or simply share our son on the same day or even take him to events together. We allow each other to take him on week long vacations or special events even if it interferes with "our" days. We do it for the good of our son - we choose not to be selfish.
    I couldn't imagine how hard it is to have an ex who refused to work with you for the good of the child.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I don't have this problem. We work really well together so that our DD doesn't get the shaft for our mistake.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My son goes with his dad 4 days a month and everything always seems to be scheduled on his dads time. He is not very flexible and makes me mad and it only hurts my son. Everything I have control over I make sure is done when he is home with us :0)
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:44 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That just means that the mom can't give permission for the girls to attend. Ask the dad if the girls can attend. Give HIM all the information about the trip. He will probably let them go if it is something the girls want to do. They are only in 3rd garde now. Wait until they are in high school, and he has to make an appointment or take the boyfriend along if he wants to see his girls.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I dont know the dads but one girl i know very well and basically if she has something planned then the dad just wont take her for the whole wkend (even though they live in the same town) Then when she goes back to his house he guilt trips the child about not wanting to see him. He wont take them to anything. The boy plays baseball so if he has a sat morning game then he has to skip the game or skip the whole weekend visit and be made to feel guilty. The dad refuses to do activities and just keeps the kids at home on his time. I see the kids looking disappointed and saying they cant cause it's dads wkend! so sad!
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have run into this with dd and my ex. He lives 4 hours away and has supervised visits. His mom is actually the one that gets dd. She has missed all the birthday parties and getting to play soccer because his mom won't let her stay home for the weekend or take her to the functions. DD gets mad at me but it is out of my hands.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010