If your child is learning things in school you KNOW to be wrong...

do you simply enforce what they are learning and figure they will learn the truth later, or do you teach them the truth?

I'm not talking about things which could be subjective - such as evolution vs creation... But I'm talking about things like the story of the first Thanksgiving, or that Columbus was the first to believe the world was round... Things we honestly without doubt know to be wrong, but that are still taught...

Do you let it go? Or do you teach the truth in spite of the schools?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:43 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Personally this is my problem with the school system, why bother even teaching our kids something that we know is wrong? Its just silly. History is important, and false history is just wrong. I would teach them the truth. I think there is no reason they dont need to know the real truth.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:46 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I teach them the truth and I talk to the teacher.

Evolutionary theory isn't subjective.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:49 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I tell my son the truth and from the way he is, I think he will start to question things as he progressing thru school

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:51 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I doub that they will teach that Columbus was the first to say that the world was round. LOL. Duhhh....
    I trusted my kids' teachers to teach accurately. They can't graduate from college with a degree in Education if they are dumb.
    I still trust teachers. WHy don't you?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• To many, Evolution is subjective... Not to me, but to many. So I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't referring to that type of thing, but actual historical fact... For believers in Evolution, it's not subjective, for hard core Creationists, it's pure lies, and since we don't have actual documentation of these things, it comes down to what you choose to believe. But I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page as to which types of things I was referring to...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I will make sure to teach my son the true story of Columbus and who founded America....I will send him with backup information so he can present it to the teacher/class during group discussions. I agree also that the Evolutionary theory is not subjective.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:56 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I doub that they will teach that Columbus was the first to say that the world was round.

Our local school still teaches this... They teach that when Columbus approached the crown about sailing around the world he was laughed at because they thought he would fall off the edge of the world and that he battled them saying the world was round...

Which we know to be false... By the time Columbus was born even the fairly uneducated knew the world was round. Although a flat earth had been a common belief prior to that time, by then it wasn't... Yet this is still a common teaching in most schools

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• part of being a parent is to guide them. When they stray you tell them why its not appropriate and help them to stay on the right path. Its the best you can do really.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Gertie: Anyone can graduate college and still come out DUMB. My bosses are lawyers. I still have to explain stuff to them. My son had a teacher and I had to spell trampoline for her. She had no clue.

@Sabrina: My son will correct a teacher in a heartbeat. He barely relies on any teacher to tech him and he certainly takes anything taught with a grain of salt. He accepts nothing as fact. He had to explain something to a teacher last year and she told him that yes, he was right and that she was wrong and teaching it wrong. My son reads and researches so much on his own that I was almost tempted to let him virtual school and homeschool. He is super smart and the school can't keep up with him. That is the problem we face and something we just have to accept.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• One should never "believe" scientific theories. Either accept or reject based upon how well they explain and predict data. Of course, that necessitates that one actually understand what the theory states. I have yet to meet a single creationist who actually understood evolutionary theory. THAT's not subjective - it's ignorance coupled with arrogance.

If anyone is interested, the evidence supporting evolution is vast and freely available. It's not what one chooses to believe. It's what one chooses to ignore.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2010