Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how doese someone w a record find a job??

i have a charge against mwe ive payed my debt now i jus wanna go on with my life and b a productive member of society is it to late to prove im a good person i just made a mistake .my child was starving we had no food no place to go and no i couldnt get help they said i was not elgible for foodstamps

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (12)
  • IDK but Good luck

    Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

  • It really depends on the charge.

    Answer by Chell.o_0 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

  • I think you get an interview and explain the situation.

    Answer by ria7 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

  • Well depends what is the charge...honestly part of it is just luck. Any charges make life very hard because many services you can't get if you have a record.

    Answer by hill2 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

  • It's difficult for someone with a record to get a job in a good economy, it's probably harder now.

    Obviously, sometimes people do things out of desperation. If you can get an interview without revealing your record, I would go and interview, and then send a thank you (which I always do anyway) for the interview, and right a brief note explaining what happened and that you are looking for an opportunity to prove yourself, and get your life back on track.

    Other than that, I would try to get some job counseling, and possibly try an employment agency. Good luck!

    Answer by ohwrite at 12:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

  • Go to a fast food restaurant,they hire anyone.

    Answer by dancer at 12:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

  • That hurts and I am sure a very painful lesson to learn. Just keep trying. Go to church and talk with your pastor. Hopefully he is a good enough person to offer some assistance and point you in the right direction. They tend to be responsible advocates for the community.

    Answer by Momforhealth at 12:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

  • Okay, I'm gonna be really honest with you. I have a charge. It is 11 years old now. I have moved on. Don't expect any of these people to understand you completly if they haven't been there. Trust me I know, life can get pretty crazy and sometimes we foolishly get caught up in things. Now, how to get through it. Don't let the charge make you. Here comes the thumbs down comittee, but I stopped telling people. It wasn't anything that pertained to the job, nor did it keep me from doing my job. Unless they were running a background, most don't and if they do they let you know because they have to pay for it. I NOTICED ONCE PEOPLE GOT TO KNOW ME, AND NOT MY FELONY, THEY DIDN'T CARE SO MUCH IF THEY DID FIND OUT. It got me through. I eventually went back to college, and am working a great job, have my family and life is good. It can happen!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

  • Even if YOU can't get foodstamps, your child can. That is how illegals do it, their anchor babies are eligible for welfare. Try fast food restaurants, like someone else said.


    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

  • I'm sure you will be able to find a job, but it will make it more difficult. Job app ask about felonies, misdemenors or both. Most have a place for you to explain what happened. My advice is to apply anywhere and everywhere you can. You have not only your record against you but all the people out of work who are competing for the open jobs.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 1:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.