A bad Mom? Good dad? Unheard of?

My SIL decided she couldn't handle being a mom anymore and simply left one day while by brother was at work and the kids were at school. She simply vanished.

Left him on his own with 2 kids and now is a single parent. Found out after some time that she had filed for divorce and now has a new SO and wants nothing to do with them.

How's that for role reversal? I guess moms aren't perfect and dads aren't always the bad guys after all.

Sorry, I'm upset for my little bro in this and its coming out snarky. Any thoughts on this situation for him?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 12:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• He can apply for aid and sue for child support, just like if the roles were reversed. Thank god his kids have him. He is a real man
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I agree they are better off without her, but will never in a life time understand how any mother can actually do something like this.

Answer by older at 12:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No, not unheard of... not at all. Many times, the father is the better parent. It's really no different than when the man leaves - and the children are better off with a parent that wants to be with them.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 12:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Sorry for the bad situation, but they are probably better off without her. This turn-about is nothing new, but still not the norm.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• it happens. it's just not as common. i know a guy raising 3 girls on his own, mom is nowhere to be found. be supportive of them and help him out when he needs it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• It happens all the time, though I personally cannot imagine EVER leaving my child.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 12:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I had a friend that that happened to as well. Hubby went to work, came home to find his daughter with a babysitter and the other stepson on a plane back to his real fathers. She took off and they never heard from her again. So sad, but it happens. Some women just aren't cut out to be a good mom.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think he should let her go..dont try to keep the mom away but dont try to involve her. See if you can help him with meal planning and giv ehim ideas like a 2 week menu that includes stuff like boxed lasagna so he can get in a routine with the kids. Kids may need counseling. very sad situation fo rhte kids..how can a mother do that?!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Wow my husband and BIL both were raised by a single dad. I would definately say he needs to file for child support and maybe state medical on the kids so their doctor visits are covered.
    knab

Answer by knab at 12:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Just tell him to ask for help when needed and to not be embarassed. He needs to be the best father for the children, since their mother is not in the picture.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 12:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010