How long for a period?

How long would you let it last before getting concerned and going to the doctor? Mine is going on 3 weeks. I think it might be stress. What do you guys think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Health

• sounds like its time to make an appointment.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 12:55 PM on Sep. 30, 2010

• Are you on birth control? If so, you may need to switch the brand. When I first started mine, I had like three periods a month which they called a bleed through. (I used a generic which gave me too many periods in my mind and eventually we found the brand that worked.) I don't know of any woman out there who would love to have a period so often. What is normal for your period? I would say if my period lasted an extra week, I would call my doctor and ask what she suggests for me to do and go from there.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 12:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• if you are taking any meds that might be doing this but u sound worried and i would advise to check it out now
    vira78

Answer by vira78 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Call the doctor. This happened to my friend and it was because menopause was starting.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Alarm bells started ringing in my head when I had just one extra day of spotting.   Each month after that, the bleeding got heavier and longer until it didn't stop at all.   Turns out I had fibroids and after slowly bleeding to death for 77 days, I had a hysterectomy.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have been taking this birth control for 2 years now without any issues and I am not taking any other types of medication. I just keep thinking it will end tomorrow or it will end as soon as I make an appointment. Which is harder said than done. I won't be able to be seen for like a month unless I want to drag all my kids with me to urgent care. Dumb military hospital. Thanks for the answers. I thought other ladies might have some insight and look at it differently.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That is odd that you brought up menopause because that is what my husband said jokingly. I am 27 so I am hoping that is not the case. I did get my period at 8 so I am thinking menopause might come on earlier but not this early. But I might have to do some research.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010