How can I get my kid to listen?

My daughter will be 3 in October and I would have thought thay by now she would have outgrown some of the things she does. Everyday I have to tell her the same things over and over and over! Leave my cell phone alone, I said go potty not play in the water, sit down, be still, quit this and quit that. Nothing works (time out, cant keep her in the seat unless I belt her in the seat, sigh.... spanking I know I shouldn't but sometimes she does repond to it, talking calm and yelling) I know some of these things you shouldn't do but I loose my patients and kinda fly off the handle.Now I watch my 3 yr old niece and 1yr old nephew and it just makes it that much more complicated, but I need the money! I feel like a bad mom when I can't control my own kid. What should I do? She also has a 25 % speech delay and I never understand her and it is very frustrating for both of us.I was thinking to get her tested for ADHD or hearing problems.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• SHe is still 2, she is testing you to see of she keeps trying the same thing are you gonna give in. The best thing to do is tell her no and why she can't and redirect her attention. Such as you can't play with my phone you might break it but why don't you get a baby doll and talk to her.
    knab

Answer by knab at 12:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• When you find out, let me know :) My Daughter will be 3 in December.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• REDIRECT,

She wants your telephone get her, her own. Give her time to play in water, just while your doing the dishes put a big plastic bowl half full with water and soap, You must keep putting her back-eventually after your way exhausted she will sit there, and let her know you are not giving up time out is time out, so if that means putting her back 50 times then that is what you do... Don't give up. Motherhood is not easy and you can do it, just remember you gave birth... When you get fustrated just give your self time out that is what i do... :) it is starting to work better. I go to the potty, now they are older and I tell them mommy needs a time out... they listen... :) Good luck, your not a bad mom every mom goes through this, I still have my drama from my 7 year old but I am working on it..
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My son turns 3 in December and we're going through the same routine at our house. My mom says all her kids were awful at three and that it gets better at four. We didn't have much in the way of terrible twos but the closer we get to 3, the more difficult he's getting.
    My son is a little behind in speech so I think that's added to the frustration.

I doubt it's something you need testing for. With us, it's been a little stressful (DH leaves for Basic training tomorrow) and I think he's reacting to my stress. Maybe add some more time outside if you can or more of her favorite activity. Van loves painting so when he's getting really wired, I pull out the paints. It's made a huge difference so far.

Good luck, Mama. Our angels have to come back eventually ;)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have had success with giving privileges to my daughter. Then, if she's acting up, I take that privilege away. A friend of mine thinks I allow her too much freedom but doesn't let her daughter do things except play with her toys and she's always yelling at her daughter.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have hear the happiest toddler on the block has great ways to make your child pay attention. It might be worth it to check out from your local library.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• keep speaking firm, spanking and redirect
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:49 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• I get down to my son's eye level & talk to him directly that way I know he sees me & is listening.
    ~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2010