My grandma wants to pay off our credit card...

Ok my grandma has got a good amount of money, we recently got married(JULY 10,2010) she paid for most of everything, some stuff that we paid for offline i put on our credit card. our cc is at its limit now, its around $1500, DH and I have been talkin about getting a newer vehicle we have a 2003 F150 4x4 4 door truck, which sucksss gas. so i was talking to my grandma and told her we was thinking about a new vehicle when we get the cc paid off and she offered to pay it off. what should i do? should i let her pay it off?? ahh im confused! lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• YES! let her do it..she can't take the money with her when she goes, and she obviously likes to help you out. it took me a long time to 'get this' about my mom and her always offering to pay for stuff, or just give money to me. i always declined it. but in her later years, i saw how much she enjoyed helping out, and she really couldn't physically 'do' stuff anymore. so now, when she throws money my way, whether its $20 or $100s..i say, 'ok, thank you , mom'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• go ahead and let her. Why not? As long as its no-strings attached and guilt free.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I would!!! She wants to, it was her idea, don't feel guilty. Can I have grandma's number?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• yeh she never wants me to pay her back, i think if she didnt wanna do it she wouldnt offer RIGHT?
    bbd75939

Answer by bbd75939 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Borrowing money from family is tricky. (I'm assuming this is a loan and not a gift?)

If it's a loan, be very clear on that, and even though it's family, draw up papers on what the expectations are for BOTH parties on repayment schedule, etc. and STICK TO IT! This could prevent a lot of hurt feelings and resentment later on, esp. if other family feels slighted that they never received help, or if you spend money on something and Gramma feels she isn't being repaid in a timely manner, etc.

Having borrowed from family and reaped the crapload of guilt, etc. that came with it, I WISH I had thought to write it all up first. Now I'm stuck with family butting into everything because I "owe" them. :(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You are so lucky.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You are so lucky is right, as long as she is competant and willing to pay why not??? Thats what grandparents do, I mean a lot of them. So I hear my grandparents are in heaven now. RIP

I mean not just saying I will pay and you know she would if you mentioned it around her. Not using her then it is EXCELLENT>.

You go girly... .:)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My grandma is the same way- she says she wants to be around to see me enjoy her gifts, and I do appreciate every single one of them.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I want a grandma like this. Take it!
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• YES
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2010