How do you humanely kill a mouse stuck on a glue trap?

We had been trying for 2 months to catcha tiny little feild mouse that had found his way in our home. I finally bit the bullet and put some of those mean glue traps down...

We caught him, but now he is wriggling trying to get off, any one have any ideas on how to humanely kill the little booger. The glue is supposed to have an anestetic in it, so hopefully he isn't too uncomfy, other than being caught.

sophie_sue24

Asked by sophie_sue24 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2008 in Pets

• The traps have an anestetic built in, I am not sure how much, I wish i could wait till he falls alseep and then just snap him in one of the snap traps...ugh...I hate this.....I just wish he wouldn't poop everywhere and make it so unsanitary....
    sophie_sue24

Answer by sophie_sue24 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• put it in a ziploc and squeeze out the air.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 5:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• THis is what i don't understand... how is a glue trap more humane than a regular mouse trap??? The regular mousetrap is so quick whereas with a glue trap, they struggle to get free for who knows how long... Anyhow, you might be able to put a couple cotton balls with fingernail polish remover next to him and a jar over the mouse/cotton balls. Let them sit for awhile and this should knock the little guy out... Then, you may just have to do the dirty deed of bashing his head in unfortunately... either with a rock or swing him up against something (that's what we had to do in school to kill the mice for snake food, but I NEVER could). Bet you won't use a glue trap again after having to kill the little guy yourself :(
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 5:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• nunyabizness....
    After 2 months of trying to catch him with the more humane SNAP traps (or did you not read that part) I resorted to buying these after I noticed mouse poop in the drawers of my kids dresser and in the pantry where we keep our food, he had also gnawed into a box of saltine crackers, this was a last resort....thank you very much
    sophie_sue24

Answer by sophie_sue24 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• We would just put them in garbage bags (alive or dead) and throw them in the trash. Geesh, I don't know about bashing their heads in and all that. That's a bit much.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it's better to just let them suffocate huh... slower that way... oh, and... YOUR WELCOME VERY MUCH :) Good luck with killing the little fellow.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 5:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• still, a little fingernail polish remover would probably work faster than the anesthetic in the traps... I'm looking up to see what that would be... inhaled anesthetic is bound to work a ton faster than something that has to be taken through the skin.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 5:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Here's what I found on the anesthetic... It may not work at all:

Here's the scoop: Motomco puts a substance called eugenol in the trap, citing that it is a "naturally occurring anesthetic." Eugenol can be a pain reliever but only when it is injected into an animal's bloodstream or pumped directly into the stomach. But just as you don't get drunk by rolling around in alcohol, animals' pain isn't taken away when they come into contact with eugenol. In fact, studies show that eugenol can cause animals to suffer more by causing a painful burning sensation, vomiting, and nausea.

Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 5:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• well great....
    sophie_sue24

Answer by sophie_sue24 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2008

• Send your hubs to the store real fast to get some mouse poison, put it on a piece of cheese and feed the mouse.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2008