Do you think 9 is too young for a cell phone

Do you think 9 is too young for a cell phone? A few of My sons friends have cellphones.They're only 8 or 9.My son seems to thinkl hes the only one that doesn't have one.

Marinemom03

Asked by Marinemom03 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Nope. My son starts kindergarten next year and WILL have a cell phone! I will never leave my child without a way to get help or without a way to get in touch with mom if there is an emergency. I think it's almost MORE important at those young ages because things can so easily get out of hand. My mother was telling me the other day how I missed my stop one day when I was young and because I didn't know what to do I just sat in the seat... They didn't find me til hours later at the bus garage... Had I had a phone, I could have called for help, or at least they could have called and asked where I was. Another time I didn't get a message from my mother (she had called the school) and I ended up wondering around the town alone because I went to the wrong house... Again, a phone could have changed that. Today, that could be the difference between a child being snatched or not.

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Yes, way too young.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think that is absolutely way to young!

Who cares if all his friends have them, and who cares if he doesnt like it..not necessary.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• yeah there's no one they need to call that badly, unless its for emergencys
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That's when it starts. If only a few friends have it now, by 10, most of them will. By 11 they all will. I would wait until 10.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My daughter is 7 and she has one. I was a little reluctant to let her have one, It was free with our family plan so i let her use it when we go on trips and after school. She text my phone the minute she got it so i was amazed that a child of that age could figure it out so fast, so far she has been good with it and her use is limited. My oldest daughter did not get one until she was 12.
    DKK2010

Answer by DKK2010 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• There really is no reason for a 3-4th grader to have a cell phone.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My son is the same way. If you think your son can handle I would go for it, but in my opinion I'm not really sure what a 9 year old could possibly need a phone for. I'm waiting for my son to convince me why he needs one and that he is responsible enough to take care of it.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Way too young. They will probably lose it. My son lost everything, lunch box, game boy, sweatshirts, jackets.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Too young. Our Jr high kids planned a food fight in the cafeteria via their cell phones and Facebook pages.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2010