Can I get spousal support, even though I've only been married six years.

Domestic violance, sperated year and half. No job, unemployment running out, Living with kids and grandkids. Anyone out there able to answer this kind of problem?

Unhappy50

Asked by Unhappy50 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• In PA if one partner was completely supported by the other partner, you typically recieve alimony for 1 year for every 3 years married.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I guess it depends on the state. You can look up the laws for your state. I was married for 30 months at the time of my separation and my attorney told me I could get 15 months (it's half the length of your marriage until you are married for X amount of years--didn't pay attention to that part because it didn't pertain to me!).
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I believe Legal Aid can answer those questions for you. I think it's a free or low cost legal service available most everywhere. It seems like you only have to be married a few years to be able to get alimony in most states. But yeah try looking for that place or go to the court house and ask for legal help. It would prob be available only certain times or hours so be prepared and get to it.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 12:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• call your local domestic violence agency (188799safe) and ask for help. most dv agencies have pro bono lawyers and will work with them or state legal aid that you can apply and qualify for. If you have a good lawyer you should be afforded a certain amount of protection under the law. also, check if your state has a victims of violent crimes fund. if you have police records of the domestic violene you may qualify for some victims funds and assistance to help you get back on your feet. best of luck! remember, if you were strong enough to survive the violence, you are strong enough to get out. hang in there.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 1:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Spousal suppport IE: alimony

Depends on the state in which you life. & . Any pre-nuptial or post-nuptial agreements that the spouses may have.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2010