milk vs. chocolate milk

do you think it is okay to serve children only chocolate milk instead of milk, or do you think it should be more of a treat?

i ask because a friend of mine ONLY gives her child chocolate milk. she refuses to drink regular milk herself, therefore only gives chocolate to her daughter, 3, as well. i have no problems with chocolate milk, just to clarify, but i do believe kids should drink regular milk too. my kids drink it just fine, and sure they love chocolate, but they love regular too.

on the other hand, the only-chocolate drinkers are still getting calcium as the regular drinkers, but more sugar as well if it is their only drink of choice. schools in my county are trying to "banish" chocolate milk from the menu, which i actually don't agree with. the kids who were raised on only chocolate will no longer have that option at school and now WON'T drink milk, getting less calcium.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• If a child is only ever offered 'candy milk', s/he is unlikely to develop a taste for the real stuff. My kids grew up drinking skim milk, so they think 2% is a rich treat. A little chocolate now and then, as a treat, is fine. But with the sugar (or worse, HFcorn syrup), and probably some preservatives in there too...what are you doing? Don't kids get bombarded with enough chemicals in their soaps, lotions, fabric softeners, room fresheners, household cleaners.....not to mention processed foods (which are too convenient to avoid ALL the time).
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 8:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i buy white milk and also the chocolate syrup if they want the chocolate i will put it in.
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• We've always done the milk with the Breakfast Essentials(Carnation instant Breakfast) so that he'll be getting the extra vitamins because he's such a picky eater and drinker due to his oral issues because he has autism

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Its wrongThe only good thing for your teeth really is water.But chocolate milk being the only thing a child gets is wrong.
    Danielle_Nicole

Answer by Danielle_Nicole at 4:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I never buy chocolate milk at home. But my kids always have it in restaurants. My kids love regular milk, so I have no reason to make it at home. I guess if they hated regular milk, I would try different ways to make them drink it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• That has never been an issue in our house because my DD happens to love fresh mild. Water aside, it's the only thing I can get in her mouth without any fights lol!!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 1:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Mine hardly ever had chocolate milk. It is a treat only thing. He doesn't even get it in school, he purposely picks regular milk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Kids only know what they know. DS loves white milk; he's never had chocolate milk. Given the choice, who wouldnt prefer chocolate?
    He also thinks that "apple juice" is a full cup of water w/ 1 apple juce ice cube. Whatever.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I think that what ever as a parent you choose it is your opinion, my children love milk very much so any kind soy, chocolate soy, vanilla soy, almond milk, milk, chocolate milk..... they love it all. My daughter will only drink most of the time. If I feel she is not doing well on her intake of nutrition I give her one of those Pediasure's and that seems to be working just fine have had no doctor's apt. where they were like oh she is lacking nutrition... GL!
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My kids love chocolate milk and they have it at Grandmas house (she will buy it special just for them) or they have it out to eat. Every once in a long while we will make some at home. (although I like to use Ovaltine or Carnation instant breakfast powder instead of choc. syrup).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2010