Is this a symptom of mental illness?

My mom doesn't bathe. She'll do a "whore's bath" every few days and wash her hair maybe once a week (and it needs it ALOT more than that). She won't step foot in the shower or bath and if you question her about this,she gets livid.
She's physically capable of bathing.
My Grandma said she's always been this way. My Grandpa acted the same way.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Health

• if grandpa was like that too
    what are the chances that both of them have the same strange mental illness
    if she is mentally ill, does notsound like this is from illness
    more of a learned strange behavoir
    unless she and he get together because both had this weord thing of not bathing
    sorry not much help from me
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I know that my grandmother 80 yrs old likes to take a "bath" this way... she sees it as an easier alternative to the shower and she as you say is fully capable of taking a shower and getting in or out of it to. I know she also is like this cause when she lived in the villages this was a more common occurrence because there was not often running water or it was just faster to make me and her "sponge bathe"... I hope that I helped a little :) I mean I don't think it could be a mental illness.... Perhaps she is scared of water....?
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• could be, could also indicate some trauma or sensory issue. one symptom alone makes it difficult to identify much.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 1:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• is she depression child, like does she save everything, conserve to all ends?
    maybe trying to save water
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• you need to talk to a family doctor about this. It is very common.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• How old is mum? Has she aways been that way when it comes to bathing?

and yes, it can be a sign of something more serious :(
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 1:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• my dad was bipolar manic, and he also had alzheimers. for the longest time... he would only take showers maybe 4 times a year (on holidays). as he got older it was a fear of that he would slip and fall in the shower, and when arthuritis (sp?) started to effect him, his in home nurses would have to give him a towel bath, or something to wash him up on a daily basis. otherwise, it can be a symptom of depression, not caring about your hygeine. and depression can be genetic...
    hanniwrencher

Answer by hanniwrencher at 1:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• She's 66. No,she's not a depression child. No,she's not trying to conserve water/energy
    She'll say that she just hasn't gotten around to it. This dumbfounds me since she doesn't work. She has all day to get in the shower.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• IT SOUNDS LIKE SOME SORT OF FOBIA, WHICH IS NOT A MENTAL ILLNESS. JUST SOMTHING SHE NEEDS TO CONFRONT HERSELF (ALONG WITH SOME HELP)... JUST CURIOUS: DOES SHE GO SWIMMING???
    king0913

Answer by king0913 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• When did she stop bathing? Has she had any major tragedies in her life around the time she stopped caring for herself?
    MizusT

Answer by MizusT at 1:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010