How do I get my 7 yr.old to stop crying over the petty things?

I know it might not be petty to her but how can I show her to handle that emotion..

My 7 year old is so diffrent then my other children, she cried all the way to school this morning, right after breakfast, because she didn't have long earings to match her dress for picture day. OMG, she wanted to change them, I just ignored her but she does that over everything, clothes, shoes, socks,food it does not matter.

She is a big whiner, how can I get her to stop??? I feel like I tried everything...

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• By not babying her when it happens, by making her aware that the world is larger than just her own wants, by teaching her to care for others, by reminding her that crying over everything means people will be less likely to be kind when she is crying over something really important, by putting her in a time-out or assigning sentences or chores each time she is caught whining, by not allowing crying and whining to ever get her what she wants.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 1:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• What Gaccck said.
    And by imposing a negative consequence when she behaves like a baby. After all, babies don't have the same privileges that 7 year olds do. Teach her that if she wants to be treated like a 7 year old, she needs to act like a 7 year old.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 1:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• By not indulging her whining. Send her to her room - tell her no one else wants to hear her whine, so she needs to go be by herself.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Some children do go through this phase, others do not.

Like caseyandkids, aliceinalgonac, and gaccck all said - don't allow this behavior if you want it to stop.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 2:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• My daughter, now 18, tried this for a short time, right about age 6. Like the other women have said, we let her know this behavior was not acceptable. She soon stopped.
    missingruth

Answer by missingruth at 2:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• No sure. My 9 year old sister is the same way. I am so happy to have two little boys!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• i think kids go through an emotional winney stage every 3 years starting at 4. 4,7,10,13,16. I have 6 kids that i see on a regular basis. My 4 year old, my neighbors 7,and 11 year olds, and my friends 13 and 14 year olds. The 4,7,and 13 year old all seem to be going through very emotional times right now. My 4 year old will cry for no reason, the 7 year old starts wining and throwing a tantrum over anything, and the 13 year old has been crying or screaming at the drop of a dime. The 14 and 11 year olds are both just coming out of these stages and getting a little better. I don't know what it is.....good luck. My son is almost 5 and i will be out of it till 7....
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I'd do what Gaccck said. She's too self-focused and needs to learn that the world doesn't revolve around her. Help her to learn what real problems are. She's old enough to learn about homelessness, hunger, hurricanes, floods, illness, death, grief & loss, and so many other struggles that people deal with each and every day. Not in an "in your face" scary way, but by teaching her about people who deal with these real issues. This way, she can learn what real issues are - and ARE NOT. And when she reverts to her whining behaviors, I like the idea of writing sentences and doing chores - I think I'd even add "if you want to whine about that shirt (or shoes,or socks, or whatever), then you may take them off and put them in this bag for donations to charity".
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 4:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• She needs to get her outfits together the night before. It seems that it is very important to her so she needs to prepare to save meltdowns.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:26 AM on Sep. 30, 2010

• My ds sometimes whines for things. I tell him to go to his room and when he's done crying he can come out.
    ErikaM27

Answer by ErikaM27 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2010