Has anyone used the herb Fenugreek to increase breast milk supply?

I am not producing enough milk for my daughter who will be 3 mos. tomorrow. Her pediatrician has me supplementing formula so that she gains weight. It kills me that I have to give her formula. If I could increase my supply, I wouldn't have to depend on formula and could feed my little one the way God inteded. Any suggestions?

Randi-N-Rilye

Asked by Randi-N-Rilye at 1:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what are the signs that you are not producing enough? Pediatricians sadly give out bad advice about nursing all the time
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I have not used it... However, here is a free ebook about herbs and breastfeeding... I love it! It's got lots of good tips in it...

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/herbs-for-breastfeeding-ebook

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I also would like to know what makes you, or the doc, say that you are not producing enough. Can't really give much advice without knowing that.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• http://www.holistic-herbalist.com/increase-breast-milk-production-1.html

Herbal remedies on how to increase your supply as well as recopies on how to prepare them.

Good luck and the reason I did not answer on the question about the Fenugreek..... us because I never have personally taken it.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• http://www.homeremediesweb.com/fenugreek_health_benefits.php
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• SHe was in the NICU ffor 6 days after she was born b/c she was having some digestive issues. When they released her they recommended that I take her in for weight checks. She was slowly gaining weight. I tried pumpiung to see how much I was actually producing and after 15 minutes of dual pumping I'd only gotten about 2 oz. Then I felt likie I'd been starving her this whole time! =( I now, pump and feed formula, or nurse and feed 2 oz after nursing...

Side note - She falls asleep alot, and I spend alot of time waking her up, undressig her, tickling her to get her to eat... I don't think she works hard enough to keep me producing what she needs to grow big and strong!
    Randi-N-Rilye

Comment by Randi-N-Rilye (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I also suffered with a dimished milk supply. My son wouldn't latch on, so I was exclusively pumping. I stopped being able to keep up around 3-4 months. I tried fenugreek tea, no results. My dr gave me a prescription for Reglan and that did help while I was taking it but once I stopped the pills, there went my milk production. You could try pumping longer or more often to see if you can increase supply with more demand. Whatever happens, don't beat yourself up for it. I always felt that while I would have loved to exclusively breastfeed, some was better than nothing. At least the first 3 months of my son's life, I gave him the best start I could.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• I used fenugreek and it helped some... I had better luck with "More Milk Plus"
    I also pumped before bed every night regardless of if he had just eaten or not... it helped build my supply as well as have an option to feed him expressed milk rather than formula.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• Please stop by the breastfeeding moms group. Sounds to me like you're looking for the wrong things! Two ounces is normal maximum output. It is NOT an only.

Baby should be putting on 4-6 ounces a week from lowest weight and you should be changing six dipes a day. If those things are happening you don't need fenugreek, you need a new doc.

If those things are NOT happening...yes it works. 3000 mg daily. But you MUST nurse or pump OFTEN. Indeed, I'd be offering ever two hours if baby is truly not gaining well, around the clock.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2010

• You could try Fenugreek, I've heard some Mom's have luck with it. I would say, nurse, nurse, nurse and pump, pump, pump as much as you can. You could also try oatmeal, increase water intake, increase rest, increase calories, and some people try beer and say that works. Good luck!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2010